This Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef Stroganoff is loaded with beef, mushrooms and of course cheese to make a delicious dinner the whole family will love!
We love how easy crock pot meals are to put together, so we have a bunch of recipes that we use often. Slow Cooker BBQ French Dip Sandwiches and Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip are big hits in our family!
A Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipe
Slow cooker dinners are on everyone’s mind these days. The cold weather makes us want comfort food – sometimes a little too much comfort food – but that’s just what seems to happen.
Seems like the first thing on everyone’s mind in the morning is the age old question, “What’s For Dinner?” Yep, we get that question around breakfast time, on school days, weekends. Doesn’t matter.
Our kids always want to know what they have to look forward to at the end of the day. And TBH, so do we. So breaking out recipes like this Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef Stroganoff is one of the ways we keep them happy, and us too.
What Are The Ingredients For This Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef Stroganoff?
This is a recipe that can handle a few substitutions, especially if you’re out of an ingredient. Swap out the ground beef fro ground turkey or pork – no mushrooms? Well even though that’s a classic stroganoff ingredient, don’t let that stop you!
Stir in steamed chopped broccoli or spinach at the end, even frozen peas and carrots will work! Maybe it won’t be beef stroganoff so much…but it will be a delicious, cozy dinner that the whole family will love!
- Ground Beef: As I said before, you can swap out ground turkey or pork but beef is the classic ingredient for this stroganoff recipe
- Onions: Lots of sliced onions go into this recipe, don’t be alarmed though, they cook down to almost nothing and just add a ton of flavor!
- Mushrooms: You can use brown mushrooms or white mushrooms here, it really doesn’t matter. Just get them good and browned before adding the to your slow cooker for the most flavor!
- Mozzarella Cheese: Right before serving at the end of cooking, a thick layer of shredded mozzarella cheese goes on top of this beef stroganoff. If cheesy isn’t your thing you can definitely leave it off!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese makes the ground beef and mushrooms filling super creamy, so even if you do make this recipe without the cheese layer on top it’s still going to be totally delicious.
How To Make Beef In The Crock Pot
This Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef Stroganoff isn’t a dump everything in the crock pot kind of recipe, there’s a couple of steps but they’re totally worth it. Classic Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite dinners, hands down. In all forms, soup, casseroles, skillet dinners, any way I can get it.
Browning the beef and mushrooms before adding them to the slow cooker makes this dinner has so much more flavor, it’s definitely worth the extra 15 minutes!
So after you brown up the beef and mushrooms, now you can dump everything else in…the onions, seasonings and beef broth. Let that cook on low for 4 hours, add in the cream cheese and cook for another hour. Remove the lid, stir in the cream cheese and add the cooked pasta.
This time it’s a layer of mozzarella on top, cover, let the cheese melt and serve.
I’m telling you, it doesn’t get much better than this – all the flavors of beef stroganoff topped with a big layer of mozzarella. Cheesy, beefy carb loaded comfort food – all in one bowl!
Looking For More Crock Pot Recipes?
- Crock Pot Corned Beef
- Slow Cooker Italian Pork Stew
- Pulled Pork Taquitos
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Sausage & Peppers
Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef Stroganoff is loaded with beef, mushrooms and of course cheese to make a delicious dinner the whole family will love!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 20 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 cups rotini pasta, cooked and drained (*see note)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown the mushrooms with the olive oil for 10 minutes until browned. Remove form the skillet and add tho the slow cooker.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil and brown the beef until cooked through, then add to the slow cooker with the mushrooms.
- Season the beef and mushrooms with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano, then add the sliced onions on top of the beef and mushrooms. Pour on the beef broth, cover and cook for 4 hours on low.
- Remove the lid and add cream cheese, then cover and cook another hour on low.
- Remove the lid, add the marsala wine and stir to mix in the the cream cheese. Add in the cooked pasta then add a layer of mozzarella cheese to the the top, cover and cook for another 30 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
I cooked a whole box of pasta, then just saved the leftovers.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crock pot recipes, comfort food recipes, slow cooker recipes, ground beef recipes, dinner ideas, dinner recipes, easy dinner recipes, beef stroganoff