Loaded Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are so easy to make ahead! This slow cooker mashed potato recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd!
Love spuds? Check out our Mashed Potato Recipe that we’ve perfected…or these easy Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes that are perfect for holidays or parties!
A Crock Pot Mashed Potato Recipe For A Crowd
We always need recipes like this that serve a large group of people. Whether it’s for a holiday party or a birthday…we need big food. These Loaded Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are on our menu a lot and they are always a hit!
What Ingredients Do I Need For These Slow Cooker Potatoes?
- Russet Potatoes: Russets are our potato of choice for this recipe but you can use Yukon Golds too.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth will thin out the potatoes just a little so they won’t be too thick, also adding lots of flavor.
- Cream: Heavy cream will add a rich and creamy texture to the potatoes
- Butter: Because, butter. Butter is always needed for mashed potatoes!
- Bacon: These are loaded mashed potatoes so of course we’re going to add some bacon to the top.
- Parmesan Cheese: Sharp, nutty parmesan cheese adds another layer of flavor.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds lots of flavor and tanginess.
How To Make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
You can start these mashed potatoes the morning of your party – or even the night before if your party is earlier in the day. You’ll need about 8 hours on low or 5 on high.
This is also going to depend on how big or small you cut your potatoes up so try and get them about this size…
Then cover them up and let them go. 7 to 8 hours on low or about 5 hours on high. The cooking time will depend on the size you cubed the potatoes so just check every now and then to see if they are tender.
When the potatoes are tender, add the butter, sour cream and heavy cream and start to mash with a potato masher.
Once everything is mixed together, add the cheese and bacon and then cover and cook for another 15 minutes until the cheese melts.
You can spoon the potatoes into a serving dish or just serve them as is from the slow cooker insert. Doing it this way is also a great way to keep the mashed potatoes warm if you’re serving them for a holiday or party. Just turn your slow cooker on the warm setting while serving.
And if you have any leftover mashed potatoes? Use them to make our Turkey Shepherd’s Pie or this new favorite, Guinness Beef Shepherd’s Pie! We love having any leftover mashed potatoes just so we can make that shepherd’s pie, our boys love it.
Looking for More Side Dish Recipes?
- Best Sausage Stuffing
- Brussels Spouts Casserole
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
- Homemade Shoestring French Fries
- Jailhouse Rice
Loaded Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings 1x
This slow cooker mashed potato recipe is the perfect side dish recipe for company!
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 2 cups Asiago or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Add the potatoes to a slow cooker along with the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5.
- Mash to desired consistency, then stir in butter and sour cream and heavy cream.
- Add the bacon and cheese, stir and cover on the warm setting until ready to serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker mashed potatoes, mashed potato recipe, slow cooker potato recipe, side dish recipe, potato sides
When does the heavy cream get added?
Thanks Brenda, I’ve updated the recipe card!
What size crockpot do you use?
We used a 6 quart slow cooker