Loaded Skillet Mashed Potatoes are are the ultimate side dish to steak, burgers or chicken! You can make your own or use leftover mashed potatoes!
A Cheesy, Mashed Potato Recipe
Mashed potatoes in any form are a win for me. I do like them made a certain way…Christie introduced me to a potato ricer (probably a mistake now that she looks back) but now that’s the only way I like them.
They’re smooth and creamy, just the way mashed potatoes should be. No lumps for me, thanks. But if you take your mashed potatoes and put them in a skillet…then top them with bacon, scallions and tons of cheese??
Well, I think these might be the most amazing mashed potatoes I’ve ever eaten. And I can tell you that’s saying a lot.
The only problem with these Loaded Skillet Mashed Potatoes is that there’s only one skillet. but I guess you could double the recipe and use two skillets? Noted for next time.
How To Make Loaded Skillet Mashed Potatoes
Start by making the mashed potatoes. You can use the recipe I have here or whatever mashed potatoes you have in your fridge.
Now grab a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet any non-stick skillet that can go into the oven will do. Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in the skillet and then add the mashed potatoes in an even layer.
Top with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and chopped scallions and put the skillet into the oven.
The cheese will melt – the mashed potatoes will get a super-crispy crust on the bottom (especially if you use a cast iron skillet) and you’ll have the best mashed potatoes you’ve ever eaten.
Take the whole skillet and put it right on a board in the middle of your table for everyone to dig in. Cut the potatoes out in wedges like a pizza, or get a big spoon and scoop them out.
Either way they’re going to be the best loaded mashed potatoes you’ve ever had. Enjoy!
Looking For More Potato Side Dish Recipes?
- Classic Potato Salad
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Perfectly Smooth Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes
Loaded Skillet Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
This comfort food, loaded potato skillet is perfect side dish for steak or chicken!
- 2 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 6 T. butter
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 c. chopped scallions
- Wash and peel the potatoes and then cut into large cubes.
- Add to a large pot and then fill with cold water with a tablespoon of salt.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher or using a potato ricer.
- Add the butter, garlic powder, salt, milk, pepper, 1/2 c. of the shredded cheese and the sour cream to the potatoes.
- Mix together well and set aside.
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet that’s oven proof) with the additional 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the mashed potatoes in and even layer, then top with the other 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, the bacon and scallions.
- Place in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then serve.
- This would also be a great use of leftover mashed potatoes!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato side dish, potato recipe, mashed potato recipe, side dish recipes