Picadillo Sausage Sliders are a unique, fun and tasty party appetizer! Italian sausage patties made with briny chopped olives, topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. A nod to the flavors we love in a delicious Cuban picadillo recipe.
Why You’ll Love These Sausage Sliders
Not only do these sliders taste amazing, but they’re so easy to make you won’t believe it. I made this recipe after I had picadillo the other night for dinner. Never having had picadillo before I was surprised and delighted by the flavors of briny olives mixed in with savory beef.
- Make Ahead Recipe: Make the sausage patties ahead of time (and in bulk if needed) for parties and holidays, or even just a family dinner. Heat them up on the grill, in the oven or in a skillet.
- Unique Flavors: The flavors in these sausage sliders will certainly be unique to most, as they were to me.
- Customizable: You can certainly customize the flavors in this recipe by adding different spices, black olives instead of green or different cheese.
- Easy To Make: From start to finish these sliders will only take about 30 minutes, including prep!
What Is Picadillo?
Picadilllo is a Latin-American dish that’s typically made with beef and vegetables, simmered in a tomato sauce. Olives and raisins are common additions to the recipe and sometimes diced potatoes, depending on the region.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Italian Sausage: Loose, or buy the links and remove from the casings. You can buy mild or spicy for this slider recipe.
- Green Olives: Pitted, green olives with pimento.
- Tomato Sauce: Plain tomato sauce that will be flavored with seasonings.
- Seasonings: Cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt
- Sliced Mozzarella Cheese: Sliced cheese lays over the sliders nicely, but you can also use shredded.
- Slider Buns: Potato rolls, Hawaiian rolls or any small slider rolls.
How To Make Picadillo Sausage Sliders
We’re starting with some basic ingredients here. Italian sausage, green olives, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. Easy to assemble and so fun to serve at parties, BBQ’s and game days.
- STEP 1 – MAKE THE SAUCE: Pour tomato sauce in a small pot and add cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder and salt. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2 – MAKE THE SAUSAGE PATTIES: Mix Italian sausage together with chopped green olives and form into 6 patties. Cook the patties in a skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- STEP 3 – ASSEMBLE: Add each sausage patty to the bottom of a slider bun while still warm. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and a spoonful of the tomato sauce.
We also like making these for an easy dinner night at home. Our boys love the flavorful sausage and olives mixed together. The simple tomato sauce has such a unique flavor, you really have to try it!
What Can I Serve With These Sausage Sliders?
There are SO many side dish options here, we’ll give you a few of our favorites but head over to our Side Dish Menu and check out the whole list!
If you’re serving these sliders for appetizers, then no sides are really needed. But if you’re having them for dinner or the main course then add a few tasty sides!
Looking For More Slider Recipes?
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Pulled Pork Sliders
- Bang Bang Chicken Sliders
- Crab Salad Sliders
Picadillo Sausage Sliders are a fun and tasty party recipe! Italian sausage patties topped with chopped olives, sauce and cheese. A nod to a delicious Cuban picadillo recipe, transformed into sliders!
- 1 pound loose Italian Sausage (or remove links from casings)
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Slider Buns
- Mix the sausage together with the chopped olives and form 6 patties.
- Add the tomato sauce, cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin and salt to a small pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. You can also cook these sausage patties on the grill.
- Cook the sliders for 4 minutes on one side and then flip for another 3 on the other side.
- Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on each slider then place the lid on the skillet to melt the cheese.
- Put each slider onto the bottom of a slider bun followed by a spoonful of the tomato sauce. Top with the top half of the bun and serve.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, sausage sliders, recipes with italian sausage, picadillo,party food, game day food, slider recipes
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.