Roasted Beets and Sweets in Brown Butter Maple Glaze are going to be your go-to side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any dinner at home!
An Easy Roasted Beets Recipe
Don’t save this side dish for just Thanksgiving, you’re going to want to make it a lot more often than that.
But you do also need to not pass out on the floor before your guests arrive from cooking for 3 days so this Roasted Beets and Sweets in Brown Butter Maple Glaze is going to be a life saver.
Simple vegetable side dish with a totally amazing flavor, and also not 10 sticks of butter in the recipe…just one.
Yep, there’s a whole stick of butter in this recipe but there are also a LOT of potatoes and beets going on here. This is going to serve at least 6, but I’ll say your safe with serving 8 if you’ve got a lot of other sides going on too.
How to Roast Beets and Sweet Potatoes
Start out by peeling and cubing the potatoes and beets. This will be the most time consuming part of the recipe but still it only took about 15 minutes.
Toss the beets and sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and oil and roast for 30 minutes.
While they’re in the oven you can make the brown butter maple glaze. Sounds a lot more fancy than it actually is but it’s only 3 ingredients and about 5 minutes.
A whole stick of butter goes into the pan with 3 or 4 thyme sprigs…wait until that butter gets brown, add in the maple syrup and remove it from the heat.
Maple glaze done.
Take the potatoes and beets out of the oven after the 30 minutes are up and toss them in the brown butter glaze, snack on a few, then get them back into the oven.
When you take them out again after 15 minutes they will look like this…
I’m going to say on the level of indulgent foods at a Thanksgiving table these Roasted Beets and Sweets in Brown Butter Maple Glaze are way down there on the list.
But crazy high in flavor! We’ll be making this vegetable side dish all year because it’s that good!
Roasted beets and sweet potatoes with a buttery sweet glaze that is a delicious side dish to any meal!
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (small, 1 inch dice)
- 4 beets, peeled and cubed (small, 1 inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the Glaze
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 3–4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus 2 tablespoons more chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the beets, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes and beets are in the oven, make the brown butter glaze by adding 1 stick of butter to a skillet along with the fresh thyme sprigs.
- Melt the butter down until just browned (about 5 minutes) then stir in the maple syrup and remove from the heat.
- After 30 minutes, remove the potatoes and beets from the oven and toss with the brown butter glaze.
- Place back in the oven for 15 minutes then remove to a large serving plater and garnish with the two tablespoons of reserved chopped thyme.
Keywords: roasted beets, roasted sweet potatoes, brown butter, brown butter glaze, maple glaze, side dish, holiday side dish, thanksgiving side dish