Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect Thanksgiving appetizer! Easy to make and you can make these appetizers ahead of time!
One of My Favorite Thanksgiving Appetizer Ideas
One of my most favorite appetizers are stuffed mushrooms. As you can tell from my many different recipes here on the site. We’ve got some Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, Italian Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms, Corned Beef Stuffed Mushrooms and now these Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms.
Stuffed mushrooms are just a perfect, one bite appetizer that you can make in so many different ways and I think I need to try as many as I can.
So here I go with the next one, just in time for your Thanksgiving celebration. Or any party you might have coming up, these apps will work with any dinner you’ve got going.
How to Make These Easy Mushroom Appetizers
We used a pumpkin cornbread mix from a box, you’ll need about 1 1/2 cups crumbled so use whatever you have. Regular cornbread will work out fine too – or grab a couple cornbread muffins at the store. Whatever. I’m all about the short cuts.
When we were making these mushrooms I actually thought of the best shortcut ever…use your leftover sausage stuffing from Thanksgiving and stuff a few ‘shrooms. You’ve got instant appetizers. Leftovers are awesome but sometimes you get tired by dat three of eating the same meal, so transform them into something else instead!
Get out a big skillet and start browning the onion, celery and garlic. After about 5 minutes you can add the sausage in the skillet to brown, Just push the vegetables off to one side of the skillet while you brown the sausage or remove them to a bowl.
Now that the sausage is browned you can stir it together with the onions, celery and garlic – then add in the seasonings. Throw in a splash or two of chicken broth to make your stuffing stay together and grab you mushrooms.
Fill each mushroom cap up with a good amount of the filling, I like a lot – like as much as I can pack in there for the best flavor. Add a few drizzles of olive oil over the tops and get ’em in the oven.
The best part about these Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms is how they make your kitchen smell when they’re cooking. Just like a Thanksgiving dinner…the other best part is eating them.
Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect Thanksgiving appetizer! They’re easy, you can make them ahead and they won’t fill up your guests too much for dinner!
- (2) 10 oz. packages white mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage, spicy or regular
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat up the oil over medium heat and then add the onion, celery and garlic.
- Stir and cook for 5 minuets until the vegetables soften.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and then add in the sausage to start breaking up and browning.
- Once the sausage is browned, stir it back together with the onions, celery and garlic.
- Add in the salt, sage, black pepper, chicken broth and the crumbled cornbread. Stir to combine.
- Fill the mushroom caps with a heaping tablespoon of the stuffing and set on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve.
You can make these mushroom sup ahead of time and then bake right before you need them, just add 5 minutes to the baking time.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed mushroom, mushroom recipes, mushroom appetizer, thanksgiving appetizer, easy thanksgiving recipe