Roasted Radishes in Bacon Cream Sauce are a delicious, low carb side dish recipe! These roasted radishes have a mild flavor with a potato-like texture!
If you love roasted vegetables as much as we do, try our Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes or this delicious, kid approved Roasted Broccoli with Crispy Breadcrumbs! Don’t forget our favorite roasted vegetable, Perfect Roasted Brussels Sprouts!
Why Does Roasting Vegetables Make Them Taste Better?
Roasting vegetables brings out the sweetness and the pure flavor of any vegetable. Roasting vegetables in the oven is such an easy way to cook vegetables, we do it most of the time.
Not only is roasting vegetables easy, but most of the time it makes for super tasty, slightly crispy vegetables that somehow become irresistible.
Vegetables irresistible? Yep, something I never thought I’d say but believe me. It’s possible. Just a little olive oil, salt and pepper is all you need for the most part. Try it with your vegetable side dish next time and see for yourself!
Roasted Radishes in Bacon Cream Sauce Ingredients:
Have you ever tried roasted radishes? This was a first for me, I can’t say a radish is something that would be a go to vegetable for me. Raw radishes are pretty spicy, so I feel like you are either team radish or not. Not much in between.
BUT when you roast a radish…it’s a completely different vegetable.
The flavor becomes very mild, no spiciness at all, and the texture is soft but still has a bite to it. Almost like a potato, which is a win for the low carb diet followers since potatoes are usually not on most low carb menus.
- Radishes: Regular radishes right in the produce department, stems trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise
- Bacon: Regular bacon works, or you can use a flavored bacon like hickory smoked or applewood. Pancetta is a good substitute in this recipe too. The bacon adds a nice, salty flavor to this recipe with helps to cut through the cream sauce.
- Heavy Cream: You really need to use heavy cream in this recipe, half and half or light cream won’t result in a thick and creamy sauce. Also if you’re looking for low carb, heavy cream has zero!
- Garlic: Lots of chopped garlic add so much flavor in this recipe, try and use fresh garlic instead of the pre-chopped version in the jar.
- Chicken Broth: I know we’ve said this 100 times but try and use a really good quality chicken broth or stock, a weak flavored broth won’t add as much flavor!
- Parmesan Cheese: Good quality parmesan cheese adds another layer of saltiness and a delicious nutty flavor to the cream sauce
How To Make Roasted Radishes in Bacon Cream Sauce
- To make these roasted radishes, start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet. When the bacon is done, remove it to a paper towel lined plate to drain and then drain the drippings from the skillet.
- Add a little bit of the bacon drippings back to the skillet along with some butter. Roast the radishes for 15 minutes, turning often. The radishes will get sift and have a nice caramelization on the outside.
- Add chopped garlic to the skillet and stir to combine with the radishes. Now make the ream sauce by pouring in chicken broth, cream, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese to the skillet.
- Let the sauce come to a simmer and then let it reduce and thicken. Taste the sauce to adjust the seasonings if needed and then serve!
This side dish recipe reminds me of something you’d get at a steak house, like creamed spinach or creamed corn. All those creamy, decadent side dishes to cut through those bites of juicy steak.
Can You Make This Side Dish Recipe Ahead Of Time?
The one downfall to this ultimate, creamy roasted vegetable recipe is that you can’t make it ahead of time. It’s really not a dish that reheats well because the cream sauce will break upon reheating.
The good part about this roasted radish recipe is that it literally only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish so there’s not to much to worry about.
You can wash and cut the radishes ahead of time and fry the bacon ahead of time to save a few steps. Then once it’s time to get this recipe together it’ll be a breeze. AND I wouldn’t worry too much about leftovers here, I can pretty much guess that there won’t be many radishes left behind.
What Can You Serve These Roasted Radishes in Bacon Cream Sauce With?
This is a perfect side dish recipe for almost any meal, even for the holidays! Here’s a few of our favorite dinners to serve these radishes with:
Looking For More Side Dish Recipes?
26 radishes (about 3 bunches)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon bacon grease leftover from cooking the bacon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
12 ounces bacon, cooked and chopped
Wash the radishes, trim the stems and roots and cut in half.
Heat the butter and bacon grease in a skillet over medium heat. Add the radishes, tossing to coat in the butter along with the salt and pepper.
Cook the radishes for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and softened.
Next add the chopped garlic, stir and cook one minute more.
Add the broth, cream, rosemary, parmesan cheese and bacon to the skillet, stirring to combine with the radishes.
Cook for 7-8 minutes over low heat until the sauce has thickened. Check to see if more salt and pepper are needed, then serve immediately.
* If you don’t have leftover bacon grease you can substitute olive oil
Keywords: side dish recipe, roasted vegetables, roasted radishes, low carb recipe, low carb diet, bacon recipes