This Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup is all you need for a dinner fiesta! This soup recipe uses a secret ingredient to make it super thick and creamy, without using any cream!
I mean who doesn’t love a party in a bowl??? Lots of soup recipes are just that for us, like our popular Beefy Taco Soup thats loaded with beef and vegetables and all your favorite taco toppings! Or one of our new favorites is this Creamy Sausage & Peppers Soup!
Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup Secret Ingredient!
So how do you make a soup thick and creamy without using heavy cream or cream cheese? And the secret ingredient is…refried beans. Yep, grab a can of your favorite brand of refried beans (we like the fat free variety) and stir it right into this Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup.
Using refried beans to thicken soups, stews or chili is a Weight Watchers trick that I discovered and I haven’t stopped using it since! Because beans are good for you, my friends, it’s a great way to sneak in some fiber and protein without anyone knowing the beans are there!
How Do You Make This Chicken Soup Recipe Fast & Easy?
The first trick is to use up leftover chicken (or turkey) that you have in your refrigerator. If you don’t have any leftover chicken, grab a rotisserie chicken from the store, remove the skin and shred it up. You’ll get about one pound of chicken from a rotisserie chicken and that’s exactly what you need to make this soup!
Another ingredient that we love using is frozen pepper strips or diced peppers. You can find frozen peppers in the freezer section right by the other frozen vegetables, or sometimes you can find fresh diced peppers in the produce section of your store.
Of course, grabbing a couple of fresh bell peppers and cutting them up isn’t going to take you long, but anything that we can do to save time these days is a bonus!
When you’re making this Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup, please do feel free to use any vegetables that you have laying around in your refrigerator, too. Zucchini, fresh tomatoes, red onion, even broccoli would be good swap outs.
How Do You Serve Chicken Fajita Soup?
Now it’s party time. When we serve this Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup, we gather up all of our favorite chicken fajita toppings! Here are a few suggestions:
- Tortilla strips
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or fresh avocados
- pico de gallo
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Shredded cheese like cheddar, monterey jack or pepper jack
Sometimes our boys just use corn chips or tortilla chips instead of a spoon to scoop up every last bite in their bowl. Everyone can customize their own bowl of soup with their favorite toppings!
Can You Make This Soup Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes! This chicken fajita soup doesn’t have any pasta or rice in it that would get mushy or absorb the broth when it sits, so it’s the perfect soup recipe to make the morning of or even the day before.
Because this soup doesn’t use any cream, it’s also perfect for freezing. Make a double batch and freeze it in individual portions or just a couple of freezer bags, then pull it out an warm it on the stove for an easy dinner!
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Beef Barley Soup
- Beef Burgundy Mushroom Soup
- Navy Bean & Ham Soup
- Split Pea Soup & Ham Soup
- Homemade Turkey Soup
This Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup is a dinner time fiesta! We use a secret ingredient to get this soup deliciously thick & creamy without using any cream!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups diced bell peppers (or a 16 ounce bag of frozen, pepper strips)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 ounce can refried beans (we use fat free)
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 11 ounce can Mexicorn
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- Add the oil to a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic along with the salt, pepper and cumin and stir to combine.
- Stir the refried beans into the vegetables and then add the salsa, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Mexicorn and chicken. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring often. The refried beans tend to stick to the bottom of the pot so make sure that you get in there and stir!
- Taste the soup for seasonings and adjust if needed. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream and tortilla strips for garnish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: mantitlement, chicken soup, chicken fajita soup, easy recipes, recipe short cuts, healthy recipes, easy dinner ideas