Chopped Chicken Taco Salad is one of our favorite ways to have taco night! Load up all the salad toppings then pour on our Creamy Salsa Dressing!
What Is A Chopped Salad?
Salad bowls like this have become a fan favorite in our house for dinner. How did we get to a point that salad night for dinner was a fun night? This Chopped Chicken Taco Salad definitely had a part in that.
We throw all the salad toppings on the dinner table and give everyone a bowl of lettuce as a base. Then everyone gets to choose which toppings they want, some like it spicy with peppers – some don’t – some like beans and some don’t.
Chopped salad is literally when you take a salad and chop it up. No big pieces of lettuce to try and cut with a knife, or jam in your mouth. All the ingredients in the salad are uniform so that they are easier to scoop up with your fork. Plus since all the ingredients are smaller they all get coated evenly with the dressing.
We make this Easy Creamy Salsa Dressing all the time for salads, dips, sandwich toppings…we use it on a ton of things. And the best part is that everyone likes it, so a double recipe is usually in order.
How To Make Chopped Chicken Taco Salad
Season up a few chicken breasts and roast them in the oven. If you want to skip this step you can use a rotisserie chicken from the store or grab those already cooked chicken strips and add a few of the seasonings that we have listed here.
Next it’s just adding all the ingredients to a large bowl and chopping away….
You can do this with a fork and knife or you can use a mezzaluna, which is a rounded knife blade with two handles that you rock back and forth. It’s also a great tool for the kids to use so that they can get in on the action!
All that’s left to do is toss the salad with our homemade Creamy Salsa Dressing, which we usually have on hand in our refrigerator but if you don’t no worries, it only takes about 5 minutes to make in a blender.
What Else Can I Add To This Taco Salad?
Pretty much anything you’d add to a taco! You can use our Homemade Taco Meat instead of chicken, pickled jalapeños, olives, black beans, guacamole, sour cream…you name it!
Looking For More Salad Recipes?
- Homemade Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing
- Cheeseburger Chopped Salad with Creamy Pickle Dressing
- Antipasto Salad Kabobs
- Salmon Salad Recipe
- Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
This Taco Salad is perfect for a twist on taco night! Top this salad with our creamy Salsa Dressing and you’ve got a restaurant worthy meal!
For the Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Salad
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped (or you can grab 2 – 12 oz. bags of romaine)
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 recipe of Easy Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl, then season both side of the chicken.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let cool while you assemble the salad.
- You can either assemble the salad in a large bowl with all of the toppings, toss with the dressing and serve or place the romaine in 4 bowls and let everyone choose their own toppings.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad, and chop up with a fork and knife, tossing all of the ingredients together with the dressing.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: salad recipe, chopped salad, taco salad, dinner ideas, dinner recipes, easy chicken recipes, dressing recipe