These Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wings are SO addicting and fall off the bone tender! A few tips make them as crispy as if you fried them!
How To Make Crispy Chicken Wings In The Oven
There’s a couple of tips that we have for making seriously crispy, oven baked chicken wings. The first step is to make sure your wings are really dry. Grab a bunch of paper towels and dry them as much as you can before adding the seasoning.
The next step is to season the chicken wings. The seasonings are pretty basic except for one special ingredient.
Baking Powder. Baking powder helps crisp this chicken wing recipe up in the oven for the best results. Of course frying your chicken wings will produce the most crispy chicken wings, and we’re not opposed to fried food once in a while!
But for the every day meal, a crispy oven baked chicken wings will do.
After you toss the chicken wings in the seasoning, place them on a wire rack over a baking sheet so that the air circulates all around the wings, not just on the top and the sides.
Spray the baking rack with cooking spray first so that the wings don’t stick to them as they bake. You can also coat the baking sheet with aluminum foil to make cleaning up even easier.
Tips For Making Baked Chicken Wings Crispy
Now we’re going to talk about another tip for getting crispy, oven baked chicken wings, the oven temperature. You need a pretty hot oven here, we’re not cooking low and slow. We’re cooking high and fast.
So the oven temperature is going to be 425 degrees, you can also turn the oven up to 450 degrees during the last 5 minutes of cooking to get an extra brown, crisp coating.
Can You Make Buffalo Chicken Wings Ahead Of Time?
These Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings are really best when they are first made, but I do have a way you can get them done a little bit ahead of time if you need to.
Season and bake the wings but take them out 10 minutes before they are done cooking. Store the chicken wings in the refrigerator until about a half an hour before you need them. Bring the wings out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while the oven heats up.
Now bake the chicken for the remaining 10 minutes then toss them in the buffalo sauce.
If you cook and and toss the wings in the buffalo wing sauce and then cool and reheat the wings will be softer and definitely not crispy, so try serving them right away or using the cooking method I described here.
Now it’s time to eat! Serve these wings with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing for dipping and even some celery and carrot sticks on the side.
We LOVE serving these buffalo chicken wings for appetizers or the main meal. Obviously if you’re serving these for dinner you’ll want to make sure you have a few more wings per person, so make sure you have enough!
Looking For More Chicken Wing Recipes?
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Salt & Vinegar Chicken Wings
- Chicken Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Nacho Chicken Wings
- Sticky Hoisin Chicken Wings
- Asian Glazed Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
With a few cooking tips, these baked chicken wings taste just as crispy as if they were deep fried!
- 4 pounds chicken wings, separated at joints and wing tips removed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (We used Sweet Baby Ray’s hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss wings in a large bowl with the baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.
- Place the wings on a rack on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray in a single layer. Sprinkle the salt over the tops of the wings.
- Bake for 35 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Mix the hot sauce, honey and butter together in a large bowl. Add the chicken wings to the bowl and toss with the sauce until completely coated.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
If you want these wings to be less spicy, you can add another tablespoon of honey to the buffalo sauce.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American