Asparagus Leek Soup is a healthy, low carb dinner that you’re going to love! This asparagus soup is so delicious on it’s own, even without any added cream!
Need a low carb recipe with a little more sustenance? Try our Low carb Sausage & Vegetable Soup too! For another healthy soup recipe we love making this Chicken & Broccoli Soup that tastes just like your favorite take out meal but SO much more healthy!
Ok so after the holidays we need to slip a few meals in that aren’t going to take us over the top.
Over the top dinners are what we do best here, and not just calorie-wise but over the top in flavor too. Today, I promise you, you’re going to think this Zero Cream Asparagus Leek Soup is over the top too.
Now there are soup recipes that are my absolute favorite, like our Beefy Tomato Soup but aren’t exactly “light” in calories…but it’s still a family favorite. Or you have your slow cooking soup recipes like this Slow Cooker Ham Soup…but this Zero Cream Asparagus Leek Soup is both light on calories and fast on time.
This is the only way anyone is going to get me to eat asparagus. Pureed in a soup with crunchy fried onions on top, or croutons…you definitely need something crispy.
At least I do anyway – and since this soup is so healthy – you can afford to have a crouton or two.
Not only is this Zero Cream Asparagus Leek Soup good for you, you’re going to love how easy it is to make!
All you need to do is get some asparagus and leeks into a pot with just a little olive oil or butter. Cook them down and pour in chicken stock, if you want to keep this vegetarian you can swap that out for vegetables broth too.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft then get in there with a stick blender and blend it up. If you don’t have a stick blender, (you can grab one HERE on Amazon) or you can use a regular blender too.
Test it for salt and pepper, it might need more or less depending on your stock…and that’s it. Soup is ON.
If Christie didn’t make this soup and make me try it, I promise you I never would have believed that it was so good. Lots and lots of fresh black pepper is the key, she says. So as much as you can handle!
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Spinach Soup with Sausage and Farro
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin & Sausage Soup
- Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toast
This delicious asparagus soup is so good, we didn’t even fell the need to add any cream! You can add a touch of cream at the end if you like, or enjoy as is!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 asparagus bunch (about 1 pound)
- 3 large leeks, only the white and about 2 inches of the green part, sliced into rings and rinsed very well *see note*
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Fried onions or croutons for serving
- Add the butter or oil to a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and cut into thirds, then add to the pot.
- Cut the root off of the leeks, then most of the green part at the top and slice into rounds. Clean well. *see note*
- Add the leeks to the asparagus, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend until smooth, taste again for salt and pepper and serve with croutons or fried onions.
The best way to make sure all the dirt is off the leeks is to fill a large bowl with cold water then add the sliced leeks. Swish around in the water, making sure to break apart the layers of the leeks. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl and you can scoop the clean leeks off the top of the water.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: asparagus soup, low carb soup, low carb recipe, dinner recipes, dinner ideas, vegetable soup, vegetarian recipes, healthy recipes