This delicious asparagus soup is so good, we didn’t even fell the need to add any cream! You can add a touch of cream at the end if you like, or enjoy as is!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 asparagus bunch (about 1 pound)
- 3 large leeks, only the white and about 2 inches of the green part, sliced into rings and rinsed very well *see note*
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Fried onions or croutons for serving
- Add the butter or oil to a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and cut into thirds, then add to the pot.
- Cut the root off of the leeks, then most of the green part at the top and slice into rounds. Clean well. *see note*
- Add the leeks to the asparagus, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend until smooth, taste again for salt and pepper and serve with croutons or fried onions.
The best way to make sure all the dirt is off the leeks is to fill a large bowl with cold water then add the sliced leeks. Swish around in the water, making sure to break apart the layers of the leeks. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl and you can scoop the clean leeks off the top of the water.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American