With this Low Carb Sausage Vegetable Soup recipe you’ll never miss the pasta! But you can always serve some on the side for the carb lovers in your family!
We’re a soup loving family all year long! Some of our favorites are this Beefy Tomato Soup, which has been pinned over a million times! But if you’re looking for another low carb soup recipe to try, check out this Pork Egg Roll Soup with tons of vegetables in the most delicious broth!
The Key To Low Carb Soup Recipes
Here’s the key to any diet. Right here, so listen up. You have to eat food that doesn’t make you feel like you’re on a diet. I know that seems like an easy concept but it’s harder than it seems. How many awesome ways can you make a salad or grill up a chicken breast?
Well, a lot. But you have to get creative and make a variety so you don’t get bored. I need to be excited about my food, it’s just the way that I am. This Low Carb Sausage Vegetable Soup recipe will do just that. It’s going to make you excited about dinner and keep you sticking to that low carb diet.
And even if you’re not following any kind of low carb plan you’re still going to love this soup recipe since you can easily add pasta or beans or rice right to it.
And here’s the best part – if you’re trying to get more vegetables in your diet but don’t really love eating all the vegetables…make this soup ASAP. The flavors blend so well together I could eat this every single night and be way more healthy than I was the night before.
It’s all about getting the right flavor combination together!
How Do You Make Low Carb Sausage Vegetable Soup?
First, start out by browning onions and carrots in a pot, then add the sausage to brown.
You could use chicken sausage or spicy sausage or even ground beef or pork. Use up whatever is in your fridge for this one, but Italian sausage is my pick for this soup recipe.
Next add the chicken broth and diced tomatoes, give it a stir then add the spinach. Tomatoes do add some carbs to this low carb soup recipe but not a ton so I wouldn’t worry about it. Next add a couple of bay leaves and a few stems of fresh thyme. You can fish out the stems after the soup cooks, the leaves will fall right off while cooking.
Now a lot of fresh spinach.
The amount of spinach going in looks like it’s going to be too much at first, I know. But trust me, it wilts down to nothing in this soup so just keep piling it in there!
When the soup is done cooking, remove the bay leaves and any of the thyme stems that you see. Grab a big soup bowl and fill it up with a few ladles of this hearty soup.
If you’re serving this low carb soup for members of your family that do love their carbs, just add some cooked pasta to the bottom of their soup bowls before adding the hot soup. They can enjoy this soup recipe with all the carbs they want.
Grated parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper on top of this soup is perfect, we add good amounts of both!
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes?
- Italian Deli Roll Ups
- 30 Incredible Low Carb Dinners
- Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
This delicious and hearty low carb soup recipe will please everyone! Noodles, pasta or rice can be easily added in to each bowl!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage (can substitute ground beef or pork)
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce can) diced tomatoes with juice
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Add the oil to a soup pot over medium to medium low heat.
- Add the onion and carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme to the pot. Stir to coat in the oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until the carrot and onion are soft.
- Add the sausage to the pot, breaking up with a spoon and cooking until no longer pink. Add the garlic to the pot and cook for a minute more.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the can of diced tomatoes, then add the spinach leaves stirring into the broth to wilt and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and the thyme sprigs, season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed and serve.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low carb recipe, low carb soup recipe, soup recipes, sausage soup recipes, vegetable soup recipes, dinner ideas, dinner recipes