Try This Italian Meatball Soup with Zoodles for a low carb soup recipe the whole family will enjoy! This soup is a great way to use that garden zucchini!
How To Make This Low Carb Soup Recipe
We’ll start by making the meatballs and then move on to the zoodles and the soup! Grab a meatloaf mix at the grocery store for the most authentic tasting meatballs.
Add the meat into a bowl with eggs, breadcrumbs, seasonings and parmesan cheese. This is how we usually make out meatballs for our regular Italian Wedding Soup recipe!
Heat up chicken broth in a large soup pot and bring that to a simmer, while that’s warming up you can start rolling out the meatballs.
And now it’s time to make the zoodles! One large zucchini is all you’ll need…look at how they come out, just like spaghetti. And just as a side note, if anyone had ever told me in my former life that I’d be excited about making zoodles…I would have laughed in their face. How times change.
Once the broth comes to a simmer you can add in the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes, then add in the zoodles and simmer for 25 minutes until the zucchini is softened.
Serve this soup up in big bowls with lots of parmesan cheese for topping. And for me and the boys, lots of Italian bread for dipping.
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Low Carb Sausage & Vegetable Soup
- Beefy Taco Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Stove Top Split Pea & Ham Soup
- Pork Egg Roll Soup
- Homemade Turkey Soup, or Leftover Turkey Soup (faster version!)
- Cheeseburger & Fries Chowder
Cut the carbs with this delicious Italian Meatball Soup with Zoodles! So delicious you’ll never miss the pasta!
For the Meatballs
- 2 lbs. meatloaf mix (a mixture of beef, pork and veal you can buy at the butcher counter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated onion and juice that comes from grating
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
For the Soup
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the Zoodles
- 1 large zucchini
- Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper to a large soup pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the broth is heating up, place all the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Roll out 2 inch diameter meatballs (a small golf ball size) and place on a cutting board.
- Using a spiralizer, make the zoodles with the zucchini. I cut mine into sections so they were more manageable to eat.
- Once the broth comes to a simmer, add the meatballs and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the zoodles and simmer for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese for topping.
You can substitute the zoodles for plain noodles or spaghetti. We like lots of noodles in our soup, so I’d use a whole pound of pasta. If you like more broth use 3/4 of a pound.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup recipe, low carb recipe, dinner ideas, dinner recipes