Make this Veggie Heavy Chicken Lo Mein for a vegetable packed, healthy dinner! With these fun carrot spirals you’ll never miss the pasta!
If you’re trying to get more vegetables into your diet, check out these fun recipes! We’ve got this Sausage Soup with Spinach and Farro that our boys gobble up, and this Cauliflower Fried “Rice” that you can make with chicken, pork or beef – or leave the meat out for a vegetarian dinner!
An Easy, Healthy Dinner Recipe
As much as I love pasta dishes of all kinds I also love using ingredients like these Green Giant Veggie Spirals™ in place of pasta to lighten up a meal and to make it more flavorful. We chose the carrot variety for this recipe but they also have butternut squash, zucchini and beets.
One of our kids favorite dinners is chicken lo mein, it’s pretty much what the get every time we order Chinese food but we make it at home a lot too.
These carrot spirals are going to be an awesome swap out for some of the spaghetti in this lo mein – and I mean like half of the spaghetti here. I’m only using 4 ounces of spaghetti and the rest fresh vegetables and these cool carrot spirals.
The kids are never going to know what hit them. If you can fake them out by using just a little bit of spaghetti in here, I promise that’s all they need. We’ll just keep reducing the amount of spaghetti we use each time until it’s all Veggie Spirals™!
Another great thing about using ingredients like these carrot spirals is that it’s easy. And we all like easy, am I right? All you need to do is add the bag right to the pan here. No peeling carrots and chopping them up, just open the bag and in the pan it goes with fresh spinach that I cooked down first.
You can also cook these Green Giant® Veggie Spirals™ in the microwave in about 6 minutes flat, but since we’re using them in this lo mein recipe they cook up perfectly right in the pan!
Now we’re going to add in the chicken that I cooked ahead of time and give this Veggie Heavy Chicken Lo Mein a stir.
All that’s left to do is add the cooked whole wheat spaghetti, a simple sauce and fresh scallions on top. You’re not going to believe how easy and delicious this dinner is…it might even be our new way of making chicken lo mein forever.
You really aren’t going to miss that extra pasta at all!
We like to serve this Veggie Heavy Chicken Lo Mein right in the pan on the table so everyone can dig in and go back for seconds without missing a beat.
This Veggie Heavy Chicken Lo Mein is even good enough to serve at parties. Just because you’re having a few friends over doesn’t mean you have to blow the diet.
Serve this up in in bowls like this one, set that table with chop sticks and fortune cookies and its party time!
We make a lot of party food, casseroles, carnitas, big roasts and I have to tell you – the dinners that gets the most fun feedback are dinners like this one that no one expects.
Delicious, easy and good for you. That’s a winner dinner in my book every day!
Looking For More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
- Asian Baked Chicken Legs
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chinese BBQ Pork Tenderloin
This vegetable packed chicken lo mein recipe can be on the table in less than 30!
- 1 bag Green Giant® Veggie Spirals™ (carrot variety)
- 4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and tossed with 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 scallions, chopped
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and place into a bowl. Add the cornstarch and soy sauce, mix together and let marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Add the oil to a wok or a large, deep pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken while stirring for 5-7 minutes until cooked through, then remove to a bowl.
- Add the spinach to the pan cooking down until wilted, then add the Green Giant® Veggie Spirals™ to the spinach and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and chicken back to the pan and stir together with the vegetables.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl and then pour over the lo mein.
- Stir well and serve with the chopped scallions on top for garnish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lo mein recipe, chicken lo mein, asian recipes, dinner recipes, healthy recipes, easy chicken recipes, easy dinner recipes
This post has been sponsored by Martha Stewart Living and Green Giant® Veggie Spirals™, all opinions here are my own.