Sausage Minestrone Soup can be on the dinner table in 30 minutes! Vegetables, beans, pasta and sausage in a delicious tomato broth!
We sure do love our soup recipes at our house! Soup is a total comfort food dinner, even in the summer time. Everything from a hearty Beef and Noodle Soup to a fun Taco Soup that you can load up with all your favorite toppings!
Maybe you’re feeling a little under the weather? Try our Homemade Turkey Soup with a rich, deep flavored stock made from turkey bones or if you want something quicker this Turkey Noodle Soup is done in less than 30!
A 30 Minute Soup Recipe!
Imagine having this hearty Sausage Minestrone Soup on the dinner table in just 30 minutes? Well, it’s true, it can be done.
This version of a minestrone soup recipe has turkey sausage, well, because sausage makes it better. And YES – you can leave out the sausage if you want to make this minestrone soup vegetarian and it’s going to be delicious.
But we just love the flavor that turkey sausage gives to this minestrone soup and because we are meat eaters, we add it in. You can also use regular sausage or Italian sausage in this soup recipe. Kielbasa, chicken sausage and even ground beef would work if you’re looking for a different protein to add.
How Do You Make This Sausage Minestrone Soup?
Start by browning the sausage in your soup pot. Keep the sausage in the casings like we did here or take it out of the casings if you want the sausage to be crumbled. After the sausage has browned, remove it from the pot and add the onions, carrots and celery. When the vegetables have softened, add in about a tablespoon of chopped garlic.
Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Now stir in tomato paste and let it mix into the vegetables before pouring in the chicken broth. Add the sausage back to the pot along with kidney beans and bring to a simmer.
Once the soup is simmering, add in chopped kale or spinach to wilt into the broth. Kale is a heartier green than spinach, both are delicious in this minestrone soup but kale will add a little more texture.
Simmer the soup for 15 minutes and then add your pasta shape of choice. We went for medium shells but really most pasta will work in this soup recipe. Other ideas might include ditalini, elbows, broken spaghetti, rotini or wagon wheels.
A must for us when serving this soup is lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper. Bread or crackers for dipping into the soup is also pretty mandatory for us, there’s nothing more comforting than warm bread and a hot bowl of soup!
What Other Vegetables Can I Add To This Minestrone Soup Recipe?
Minestrone soup is a very adaptable recipe. It’s one of those recipes that you can use to clean out the fridge!
- Lima beans
- Black beans
- Cannellini beans
- Bell peppers
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Creamy Potato Soup with Italian Sausage
- Beefy Tomato Soup
- Our Favorite Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Pork Egg Roll Soup
- Stove Top Split Pea & Ham Soup
This hearty minestrone soup is a whole meal in a bowl! Full of healthy vegetables and turkey sausage in a delicious, light tomato broth!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound turkey sausage or turkey kielbasa, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup onion
- 1 1/2 cups carrots
- 1 cup celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can kidney beans
- 5 ounce fresh kale or spinach
- 1 cup ditalini, shells or elbows
- Add the oil to a soup pot over medium heat. Brown sausage on all sides and then remove it from the pot to a plate and cover.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot to the pot and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Season the vegetables with the salt, pepper and oregano and then stir in the tomato paste. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the beans, the cooked sausage and kale (or spinach) to the soup, stirring to wilt the kale into the soup. Cook the soup uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Grated parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper for garnish.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, soup recipes, dinner recipes, comfort food, minestrone soup, sausage recipes, turkey sausage, kielbasa recipes, easy recipes, dinner ideas