Skillet Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Mushrooms is a one pan dinner that your family will flip over! No need for a side dish, it’s all in the skillet!
My little guy likes chicken OK, but he loves chicken thighs. He really doesn’t like that dry texture that a chicken breast can have. I guess I get it, but we’re just so used to making boneless, skinless chicken breasts that it doesn’t bother me.
We did find this awesome chicken marinade recipe the other day that made out grilled chicken breasts so tasty and NOT dry that we’ll be using it all the time. And it passed the little guy’s taste test so it’s a winner.
But when we can we make the little guy chicken thighs in recipes like this Skillet Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Mushrooms – or another favorite of his this Sheet Pan Chicken Murphy – or the recipe that started his chicken thigh obsession, this Asian Chicken and Brussels Sprouts…and I’ll tell you, he eats dinner like he’s never eaten before.
He’s pretty small, not off the charts at all like our older son but man he can pack food away when he really likes it.
And this Skillet Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Mushrooms is one recipe that he really, really likes.
One skillet so there’s not a lot of mess, just organizing your ingredients and getting them read for the pan.
Start off with the mushrooms, you have to get them cooked down and nice and brown which takes a few minutes so I like to do them first, then take them out of the pan and let them hang out on a plate while you throw in the green beans.
The green beans will only take a couple of minutes, toss them around and take them out to hang with the mushrooms while you get the chicken ready.
Season the chicken thighs and toss them in flour then get them in the pan to brown. Don’t turn them before they’re ready or that crust will tear off – wait until they get nice and brown like this…
When the chicken is done you can take them out of the pan too so you can make the gravy. It’s a basic gravy, nothing complicated, just chicken broth, dijon, worcestershire sauce and cream.
But what makes this gravy SO good is that you are making it in the same pan that has all the mushroom flavor, the green bean flavor and the chicken flavor. So you know the gravy is going to be awesome.
Once the gravy thickens up place the chicken thighs back into the skillet and top with all the vegetables. Make sure to tuck them down in between the chicken thighs so they get to finish cooking in some of that gravy too.
I like to serve this while skillet right on the table when it’s time for dinner. Everyone keeps grabbing a green bean or dipping a piece of bread into the gravy…it’s a really comforting, fun dinner that our whole family loves!
You can swap out other vegetables in this Skillet Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Mushrooms recipe, like maybe broccoli instead of green beans or asparagus would be great too!Print
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz. thin green beans, washed
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or your largest skillet) over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, melt, then add the mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir to coat in the butter and brown for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, then remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the skillet, let melt then add the green beans. Stir to coat in the butter and cook down slightly, about 2-3 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste, then dredge in flour on both sides, shaking off the excess.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet, melt, then add the chicken thighs skin side down. Brown for 4-5 minutes until the skin is browned and releases easily from the pan.
- Flip the chicken over and brown on the other side for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Pour in the chicken broth, whisking to remove anything stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Add the dijon, worcestershire sauce and heavy cream and stir.
- Let come to a boil, then add the cornstarch mixture, whick and bring back to a boil to thicken.
- Place the chicken thighs back into the skillet, then add the mushrooms and green beans.
- Let simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes and serve.