These Upside Down Pineapple Chicken Thighs are covered in a sweet and slightly spicy gravy that’s so good you won’t leave any behind!
I’m learning to love that sweet and spicy flavor combination that happens in so many recipes we’ve been making lately. The Sheet Pan Chicken Murphy recipe we made was my first experience with peppadew peppers – and man, it was a good one.
See, sometimes I buy things just because I think they look cool, then Christie will say “Oh yeah, peppadew peppers, they’re so good!” And then I say, “What can we make with them?”
And the brainstorming begins.
So a lot of the time we make recipes based on a jar of peppers that I brought home from the store because I just thought they looked cool.
It’s worked out for us so far, we’ve come up with a lot of our favorite recipes this way – you know the ones that you keep going back to every week in the dinner rotation like our Turkey Taco Meatloaf. That one has been the most requested lately, the boys could eat that once a week easy, and actually it’s more like twice a week since there’s a leftover night with that one.
Those are the recipes that we hope our kids grow up saying “Remember that one chicken and sausage and pepper recipe mom and dad used to make?”
Because food memories are the best.
So for some reason when I saw these peppers it made me think of a pineapple upside down cake. Then I thought of making that savory instead of sweet by turning it into a chicken recipe.
This is how my mind works these days…so Christie takes my crazy ideas and we make this Upside Down Pineapple Chicken. It totally blew my mind when it was done . The gravy was perfectly sweet and spicy and the chicken was so tender it almost fell off the bone.
Start out by browning the chicken in butter and oil until the skin gets crispy and browned.
Remove the chicken and start the gravy in the same skillet, cooking until it gets thick and gravy-like.
Add the chicken back to the skillet and cover with some of the gravy, then cover the skillet and let it cook for 20 minutes.
That’s all there is to it – one pan is all you need to make these perfectly cooked, tender chicken thighs in about a half an hour. It doesn’t get much better than that!
What Side Dish Can You Serve With Chicken?Print
A delicious chicken thigh recipe made with a sweet and spicy glaze. This one skillet dinner is not only easy but the flavor will blow you away!
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs, skin on
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Gravy
- 2 tablespoons flour mixed with pan drippings plus 1 more tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pineapple juice (you can use the reserved juice from the can of pineapple)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice, drained reserving juice
- 1 cup peppadew peppers
- Melt the oil and butter over medium high heat.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the flour mixture, shaking off the excess, then add the chicken thighs skin side down for 5-8 minutes or until the skin is golden brown.
- Flip the thighs over and brown for another 5 minutes, then remove from the skillet to a plate.
- Add the additional tablespoon of butter to the skillet and the pan drippings. Once melted sprinkle in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Cook the flour mixture for a minute then slowly pour in the chicken broth while whisking.
- Whisk in the pineapple juice, soy sauce and brown sugar then let come to a boil to thicken. Once the gravy comes to a boil turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer the gravy for 5 minutes until thickened then add in the pineapple chunks and peppers.
- Add the thighs back to the skillet, skin side up, along with any drippings from the plate. Make sure you get the thighs down into the gravy, then spoon some of the gravy on top before you cover with the lid.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a serving platter, pour the gravy over the top of the chicken and serve.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken recipe, easy dinner recipes, chicken thighs, one skillet meal, upside down pineapple recipe, one pan dinner