Pineapple Upside Down Sausage Stuffing is made with spicy chicken sausage and sweet pineapples! Serve this stuffing with turkey, beef or ham! This stuffing recipe is so easy to make and will definitely be a hit at any holiday dinner!
My Favorite Sausage Stuffing Recipe For Family Holidays
Well, I guess not if you’re a vegetarian, but I don’t imagine a lot of vegetarians are reading this food blog here. I’m totally addicted to our Sausage Stuffing recipe, I could eat it for dinner and forget about anything else that goes along with stuffing like turkey or chicken.
A slice or two of the main dish for me and then a huge pile of stuffing.
Because it’s just so darn tasty, I’m seriously addicted to it. Then I discovered a new type of stuffing recipe, pineapple stuffing. Have you guys ever made it?
What Is Pineapple Stuffing?
Pineapple stuffing is really just as it sounds. A stuffing recipe made with canned pineapple, typically served with ham. But you know I can’t stop there…I knew I had to add my own twist to a regular pineapple stuffing recipe.
So add meat, we did.
I chose a spicy chicken sausage for this stuffing recipe to keep it “lighter” and also because I wanted some spice to tame down the sweetness of the pineapple. We’re also using a sweet brioche bread so there’s a lot of sweetness going on here…
How Do You Make Pineapple Sausage Stuffing?
To get started, all you need to do is brown up the chicken sausage in a skillet, then remove it from the pan to a large bowl. Then, to the same pan add a diced onion, fresh thyme and a few tablespoons of butter.
Once that cooks down pour it into the same bowl as the sausage. Now, grab a loaf of brioche bread, slice it thick and toast it until it’s just lightly browned. Brioche is a sweet bread so it will burn quickly – keep an eye on it.
Slice the toast into big cubes and throw them into the bowl with the sausage and onions.
Add a can of drained, crushed pineapple, a few beaten eggs and mix it all together.
Pour your stuffing mixture into a buttered casserole dish. We used an 8″ by 11″ deep casserole dish but a 9″ x 13″ rectangular baking dish will do the trick too.
Bake for 30 minutes covered then uncover the dish and add sliced pineapple rings. Now the stuffing goes back in the oven to bake for another 30 minutes. When the stuffing comes out of the oven add cherries to the center of each pineapple ring and serve!
How many pineapple rings you need will depend on what size baking dish you use so just lay them on there, you can’t have too much pineapple in my opinion.
You could get really crazy with the “Upside Down” theme and make our Pineapple Upside Down Shots too…you know I love a theme!
SHOP THIS RECIPE!
Looking For More Easy Stuffing Recipes?
- Spicy Sausage Cornbread Dressing
- Hot Dog Bun Stuffing
- Individual Italian Stuffing Muffins
- Pecan, Fig and Pear Stuffing
This pineapple stuffing recipe has spicy chicken sausage and a pineapple and cherry topping for that perfect sweet and spicy combination!
- 2 pounds spicy chicken sausage (can substitute regular sausage to)
- 1 loaf brioche bread, sliced and toasted and cut into cubes (about 14 ounces)
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained (20 ounces)
- 1 can pineapple slices, drained
- maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a non stick skillet then drain and add to a large bowl.
- Wipe the skillet out, then add 6 tablespoons of the butter to the skillet along with the onions, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions for 8-10 minutes over medium heat until softened then add them the bowl with the sausage.
- Add the toast bread cubes, eggs and crushed pineapple to the bowl with the sausage and onions, stirring to combine.
- Butter a rectangular baking dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter, then pour the stuffing mixture into the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, then remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Add pineapple slices to the top of the stuffing and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
- After removing the stuffing from the oven, add cherries to the center of each pineapple ring and serve.
You can make this stuffing and keep in the refrigerator up to a day ahead of time, then bring the dish to room temperature and bake per the instructions.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple stuffing, sausage stuffing, stuffing recipe, side dish recipe, homemade stuffing, holiday side dish, holiday recipe, easy stuffing recipe