This pineapple stuffing recipe has spicy chicken sausage and a pineapple and cherry topping for that perfect sweet and spicy combination!
- 2 pounds spicy chicken sausage (can substitute regular sausage to)
- 1 loaf brioche bread, sliced and toasted and cut into cubes (about 14 ounces)
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained (20 ounces)
- 1 can pineapple slices, drained
- maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a non stick skillet then drain and add to a large bowl.
- Wipe the skillet out, then add 6 tablespoons of the butter to the skillet along with the onions, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions for 8-10 minutes over medium heat until softened then add them the bowl with the sausage.
- Add the toast bread cubes, eggs and crushed pineapple to the bowl with the sausage and onions, stirring to combine.
- Butter a rectangular baking dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter, then pour the stuffing mixture into the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, then remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Add pineapple slices to the top of the stuffing and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
- After removing the stuffing from the oven, add cherries to the center of each pineapple ring and serve.
You can make this stuffing and keep in the refrigerator up to a day ahead of time, then bring the dish to room temperature and bake per the instructions.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple stuffing, sausage stuffing, stuffing recipe, side dish recipe, homemade stuffing, holiday side dish, holiday recipe, easy stuffing recipe