This Chicken Fajita Fried Rice is the perfect recipe for your take out dinner at home! This fried rice recipe is so good, it’s better than the restaurant version!
Chicken Fajita Fried Rice
You know that delicious Mexican rice you get on the side when you’re out at a Mexican restaurant? This tastes just like that – but even better.
We make chicken fajitas at home a lot. It’s a great way to get vegetables into your dinner recipes and they’re pretty healthy for you.
Especially when you’re making them at home where you can control the oil that’s going into the recipe. Which is why we actually prefer to make our chicken fajitas at home, you can still get that great charred flavor and have them more often!
How Do You Make This Fried Rice Recipe?
First place all your vegetables in a large skillet and let them cook for 7-8 minutes. You want your vegetables to get charred like this so they have that sizzling fajita taste.
We’re using a couple different colors of peppers, onions and garlic.
Next stir in your shredded chicken, cooked rice and seasonings…and you’re done. This chicken fried rice recipe made at home is way better tasting then ordering out and I’m pretty sure a lot better for you.
My wife did the calculations (for those of you that are interested) and a serving of this rice is only 5 Weight Watchers points. You can even add a light beer for another 3 points…a definite for me if I’m eating Mexican food. Or any food really.
Tips For Making The Best Fried Rice?
There are a few tips for making really delicious tasting fried rice at home. One is to make the rice ahead of time and let it cool in the refrigerator.
The rice will become firmer this way and the grains will separate making for a more authentic fried rice, not mushy fired rice that no one wants.
Another great tip is to grab a couple of containers of rice from your local Chinese take out place and use that instead of making your own rice.
We usually make our own and let it cool but whenever we have leftover rice from getting take out, you can be we’re making fried rice the next day.
Looking For More Easy Chicken Recipes?
This fried rice recipe uses all the flavors of your favorite chicken fajita recipe! You can swap out rotisserie chicken to get this chicken dinner on the table fast!
For the chicken (you can substitute rotisserie chicken)
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup diced red peppers
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- The juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 ripe avocado for garnish
- Season the chicken with cumin, chili powder salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a wok or large skillet, then add the seasoned chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until chicken pieces are cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet, then add the peppers, onions and garlic.
- Cook until slightly charred over medium-high heat, 7-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rice, the cooked diced chicken, tomato sauce, salsa, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and the juice of the lime to the pan. Stir to combine then turn the heat down to low and let cook for 5 minutes until all the ingredients are warmed through.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Dish out into bowls and top with the lime zest and fresh avocado.
Additional toppings could include shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and black beans.
If using a rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken and add the 1/4 cumin, 1/8 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper, 1/4 t. chili powder and mix together.
Keywords: fried rice, fried rice recipe, chicken fried rice, easy chicken dinner, easy chicken recipe