We’ll show you How To Make Breakfast Potatoes that taste even better than a restaurant! Our recipe will walk you through every step, from choosing the right potatoes to just the right combination of spices. These potatoes are oven roasted to a crispy, zesty perfection. Serve this potato side dish with breakfast sandwiches, eggs, pancakes or even a side to dinner!
Oven Baked Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
Of course there are many different ways to make breakfast potatoes, but we think this recipe is the best way to do it. Especially if you’re making these potatoes for a crowd, you can get a lot done at once using a sheet pan in the oven.
Not only are we going to walk you through how to make breakfast potatoes, but we’re going to give you tons of breakfast and brunch recipes that you can serve alongside. This recipe works if you need just a few servings of potatoes or you need to make a bunch for a crowd!
How To Make Breakfast Potatoes
Like we mentioned before, we like making our breakfast potatoes in the oven, especially if it’s for a crowd. But you can also make these potatoes in a skillet if you’re cutting the recipe in half.
Do I Need To Peel Potatoes For Breakfast Potatoes?
Nope. You can scrub the potatoes well and leave the skin on. We actually make these potatoes both ways, it just depends on what we feel like doing that day.
Leaving the potato skin on adds more nutrients to the recipe and a bit more flavor in my opinion.
- Prep The Ingredients: Wash and peel (or don’t peel) the potatoes. Dice into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes and place on a sheet pan that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Dice the peppers and onions roughly the same size as the potatoes and place onto the pan. We do it by hand, but a Vegetable Chopper makes this process easy!
- Season: Add paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the vegetables and toss to coat well. Scatter 4 tablespoons of butter on top of the vegetables and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake: Bake at 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes, tossing the potatoes twice in between cooking.
What Are The Best Potatoes For Breakfast Potatoes?
Russet potatoes (or Idaho potatoes) are the best for making this breakfast potato recipe. Russets have a mild, white flesh that bakes up fluffy with a crispy exterior. Waxy potatoes like red potatoes will also work, but they won’t get as crispy as a russet potato.
Russet or Idaho potatoes have a low water content which makes them the perfect choice for thes potatoes, or for making french fries.
Can You Make These Potatoes In A Skillet?
Yes! This recipe makes about 6 servings of breakfast potatoes. If you only need a few servings, cut the recipe in half and cook them in a large skillet.
If you’re opting for the skillet method, make sure to dice the potatoes fairly small so that they won’t take as long to cook. Add the butter to the skillet first, let it melt and then add the diced potatoes, peppers and onions.
Season the vegetables and then cook while tossing for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Variations On Breakfast Potatoes
While we love the combination of peppers and onions in this potato recipe, there are many different ingredients that can be added.
Of course you can use any color bell pepper that you like, green peppers are often a popular option. Try using yellow onions instead of red, and as we mentioned you can also leave the skins on the potatoes.
Add fresh herbs like parsley, chives, rosemary or thyme for a pop of flavor. Switch up the seasonings by using your favorite spice blend, even a pinch of cayenne pepper to spice things up!
What To Serve With Breakfast Potatoes
I’m telling you, these potatoes are so delicious they can be a meal by themselves. A favorite addition of ours is a runny, fried egg on top.
But of course, these potatoes are typically a side dish for breakfast or brunch, might we add, even dinner. So besides just fried eggs you can make a lot of different recipes that go wonderfully with breakfast potatoes!
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Crustless Ham and Broccoli Quiche
- Western Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Taylor Ham and Cheese Casserole
- Perfect Crab Cakes
- Tuna Cakes
These Breakfast Potatoes are deliciously seasoned and roasted to a crispy perfection! Serve alongside your favorite breakfast or brunch items, or as a bed for fried eggs!
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced (can also leave skins on)
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, large dice
- 1 large red onion, large dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons kosher salt (start with 1 1/2 and add more at the end if needed)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel (or scrub and wash, keeping the peels on) and dice the potatoes into a 1/2 inch to 1 inch dice. Dice the peppers and onions into roughly the same size as the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes, peppers and onions to a 9″ x 13″ baking sheet that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and then season with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Scatter the butter on top of the vegetables and place the sheet pan in the oven for 40-45 minutes, tossing twice in between the cooking time.
- The breakfast potatoes are done when the potatoes are tender and crispy. Remove from the oven and taste for seasonings, adjusting if needed.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, how to make breakfast potatoes, potato recipe, breakfast potatoes, breakfast recipe, brunch recipe, roasted potatoes