Packed with protein rich chickpeas, crunchy vegetables, and a tangy dressing, this Greek Chickpea Salad it’s a true taste-bud sensation. It’s not only delicious, but also highly nutritious. Perfect for a lunch or a light dinner and pairs wonderfully with any type of protein!
Delicious And Healthy Greek Chickpea Salad
If you’re looking for a pop of flavor paired with a delightful crunch, this Greek Chickpea Salad is the way to go. Loaded with fresh veggies and protein-packed chick peas, tossed with a homemade tangy vinaigrette.
Not only is this salad delicious but it’s super easy to make. Another bonus is that this chickpea salad can be made a day or two ahead of time for parties, holidays and picnics.
Swap out any vegetable in this salad recipe for your favorites, even switch up the dressing. This homemade red wine vinaigrette only takes 2 minutes to make, so definitely try it over store bought!
Ingredients For Greek Chickpea Salad
- Chickpeas: Also called garbanzo beans, chickpeas are loaded with protein and fiber, a great source of plant-based nutrients.
- Cucumbers: Mini cucumbers work great or an English cucumber. We like these versions for this salad because they don’t have as many seeds.
- Tomatoes: Grape or cherry tomatoes will add a sweet flavor to this chickpea salad.
- Red Onion: Red onion that’s finely diced adds a tart, tangy flavor to the salad. You can also use yellow onions or scallions.
- Feta Cheese: Full fat feta is preferable, we had fat-free when we made this recipe and that does work too. However, full fat feta is much more creamy and delicious, so if you can use that you definitely should.
- Kalamata Olives: Drained and sliced in half.
- Pepperoncini Peppers: Drained, stems removed and roughly chopped.
Ingredients For The Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil: Doesn’t have to be extra virgin, but a good quality olive oil with a nice, fruity flavor.
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Garlic: Fresh garlic is best!
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Again, fresh is best!
How To Assemble The Salad
This Greek Chickpea Salad is not only perfect for parties, but it’s a great recipe to use for meal-prepping. This salad keeps in the refrigerator for up to 5 days without loosing quality, flavor or texture.
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl along with the cucumbers, red onion, olives, peppers, tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Whisk the ingredients together for the vinaigrette and pour over the salad. Toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered for up to 5 days. Toss again before serving.
You can swap out most any vegetables that you like in this chickpea salad. Some good options are corn, chopped broccoli, zucchini, carrots, radishes or roasted beets. While roasted beets will change the color of the salad, we do love the flavor that they add.
Switch up the dressing and use a Greek dressing, similar to what we use for our Greek Chicken. An Italian dressing would also be good, or a white wine vinaigrette. If you’re in a pinch, you can use bottled dressing from the store, but as usual, homemade is best.
What To Serve With Greek Chickpea Salad
If you’re looking for some seafood options, try adding this salad as a side to our Parmesan Crusted Haddock or an easy Grilled Salmon recipe. Since we’re keeping things light and healthy with this chickpea salad, you could also try these addicting Breaded Shrimp to go along with it.
But again, this healthy side dish will go nicely with just about any main course.
Like we mentioned before, this chickpea salad keeps very well in the refrigerator all week. Make sure to transfer the salad to an air-tight container or cover tightly with plastic wrap.
Just be sure to toss the salad again before eating, and adjust with more salt and pepper if needed.
Looking For More Salad Recipes?
- Greek Couscous Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Roasted Artichoke Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
This Greek Chickpea Salad is a taste-bud sensation! Loaded with crunchy vegetables, protein packed chickpeas and tangy feta. A healthy and addicting salad that’s perfect for lunch or dinner!
- 3 (14 ounce cans) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup diced cucumbers
- 1 heaping cup diced grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (or 1/2 cup pickled red onions)
- 6 ounce jar Kalamata olives, drained and halved
- 12 ounce jar pepperoncini peppers, drained and rough chopped
- 1 heaping cup feta cheese (full fat feta preferable)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
For The Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2–3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to a large bowl along with the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, olives, pepperoncini peppers and feta.
- Mix the ingredients together for the vinaigrette. Pour about half of the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Taste and add the salt and pepper if using and adjust with more vinaigrette if needed. Cover and chill the salad for at least 1 hour before serving. Toss before serving.
Store: Store leftover salad, covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Toss before serving.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, chickpea salad, garbanzo bean recipe, greek chickpea salad, healthy recipes, low fat recipes