If you’re looking for an easy, healthy soup recipe, this Black Bean and Corn Soup is it! Add toppings like sour cream, salsa or guacamole!
Who wouldn’t love a soup recipe that’s as hearty and tasty as this soup but also takes literally 5 minutes to make? If you love soup as much as we do, check out our popular Beefy Tomato Soup that’s been pinned over a million times or for another healthy option this Pork Egg Roll Soup is a fun one to try!
A Healthy Soup Recipe For Lunch Or Dinner
When we say it’s good for you, we mean it with this Black Bean and Corn Soup! Not that we’re nutritionists or anything, but this soup recipe is made with beans, corn, tomatoes and vegetable or chicken broth. And that’s it. No oil, no cream, no flour to thicken the broth…just fresh ingredients that will make your taste buds dance for joy.
Not only is this black bean soup good for you, but it honestly couldn’t be easier to make. Just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker or crock pot and walk away. The flavors will blend together so nicely while it’s cooking low and slow you’ll have a soup fiesta waiting for you!
Ingredients For Black Bean and Corn Soup
This is also a soup recipe that can be adjusted according to your likes and/or what you have in the pantry. Black beans can be swapped out with kidney beans if you like, and you could add more vegetables, too besides corn.
- Black Beans: Canned black beans are what you need for this recipe. Just rinse them well and add them right to the slow cooker.
- Corn: We used Mexicorn for this soup, which can be easily found in your canned goods aisle, but fresh, frozen or canned will work too!
- Diced Tomatoes: Regular diced tomatoes, Ro*Tel or diced tomatoes with green chilis, you can get creative here and add a little more spice or not, depending on your tastes.
- Chicken Broth: OR vegetable broth if you want to keep this soup vegetarian. If vegetarian isn’t an issue for you, I recommend chicken broth because it will add a lot more flavor to this soup.
- Cumin: Cumin will add a smoky flavor, but not spicy.
- Chili Powder: Start off with less and add more at the end if you want to. We found that a tablespoon was a good measurement to start with, you can always add more if you like at the end.
- Scallions: Green scallions to top off the soup gives this black bean soup that fresh taste and cool texture to balance it out.
How Do You Make This Slow Cooker Soup Recipe?
As you can see, we’re not showing you any process photos of hoe to make this black bean soup. Because there really isn’t a process. Just add all the ingredients to your crock pot, set to high for 4 hours and it’s done.
You can also cook this soup recipe on low heat for longer, the idea here is that the flavors will blend together during the slow cooking process and be super flavorful. But you can also make this black bean soup on the stove! Just add all the ingredients to a soup pot and cook over medium-low heat for about an hour.
Making this soup on the stove just means that you’ll have to stir it every so often and be more attentive that if you make this soup in your slow cooker. So it all depends on your timing and mood for the day.
What Toppings Can You Serve With This Black Bean Soup?
The toppings for this soup recipe are the best part! We like to set out a bunch of different toppings if we’re serving this for a party or game day. Keep the soup warm right in your slow cooker and your friends can serve themselves!
- Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo
- Tortilla Chips
- Hot Sauce
- Pickled or Fresh Jalapeños
- Diced Onion
Looking For More Crock Pot Soup Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Italian Pork Stew
- Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli
- Slow Cooker Ham & Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Beefy French Onion Soup
This healthy black bean and corn soup recipe couldn’t be easier to make! Just add everything into a crock pot and walk away – perfect for meal prepping, parties and game day!
- 2 (15 ounce cans) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce can) Ro-Tel Chipotle diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce can) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (11 ounce can) Mexicorn (can substitute regular corn, canned or frozen)
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 scallions for garnish, chopped
- Add all the ingredients (except scallions) to a slow cooker. Stir to combine and set on high for 4 hours.
- Garnish with scallions and additional toppings if desired.
You can also cook this soup on the low setting for 6 hours and then switch to a warm setting if needed.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American Tex-Mex
Keywords: slow cooker soup, crock pot soup, black bean soup, healthy recipes, vegetarian recipes, soup recipes, vegetable soup, dinner recipes