Try this Skillet Sicilian Beef and Cauliflower for a super tasty, low carb dinner! This one skillet beef dinner is as easy as it is delicious!
Family Friendly Low Carb Dinner
I mean, we get it. Your whole family probably isn’t following a low carb diet, especially the kids. But that doesn’t mean you have to have a grilled chicken salad every night while the rest of your group chows down on some penne vodka…
There has to be some sort of balance, am I right?
My boys will pretty much eat anything, but we weren’t totally sure about this Skillet Sicilian Beef and Cauliflower for dinner. They love beef, they love cauliflower but together with some of the flavors in here…
You just never know.
All we needed to do was to add some colorful cauliflower that we grabbed from Trader Joe’s and the rest is history. One kid added BBQ sauce and the other kid dipped this beef and cauliflower dinner in honey mustard sauce. Whatever works, right?
Don’t really care how they eat it. As long as they do.
What Kind Of Beef Should I Use For This Recipe?
There’s a few options here, you don’t have to use a strip steak. Definitely a good quality sirloin steak will do, too. Or grab a package of those beef tips already cut up for you in your butchers department!
You can even use ground beef if you like, just don’t break it up into really small pieces as you brown it, keep the ground beef in larger chunks.
Can You Make This Recipe With Fresh Cauliflower?
Absolutely! We usually have both fresh and frozen cauliflower on hand since we make it so often. But fresh cauliflower will work using these recipe instructions in just about the same amount of time.
Not a cauliflower fan? No worries, just swap out the cauliflower for broccoli and you’ll be good to go!
We love, love pignoli nuts. We love them in salads, cookies, cakes, and savory dishes like this low carb beef dinner. If you’ve never tried pignoli (or pine nuts) this is the time to do it!
Pignoli nuts, like most nuts, are more flavorful when you toast them for a couple of minutes in a dry skillet or in the oven. For this recipe we’re using the skillet since we’ll be cooking the rest of the dinner right in there too.
After you toast the nuts, remove them from the skillet and start to sear the beef.
Getting the right sear on the beef in this recipe is KEY. Get the beff in the skillet in one layer then LEAVE IT. Don’t move it around a lot, just let the skillet work its magic.
Once the beef is seared on all sides, add the pignoli nuts back to the pan along with sun dried tomatoes and a few seasonings.
Because we’ve made this recipe a few dozen times since this post, we’ve added in the recipe card to sprinkle parmesan cheese on top when it’s done then get it under the broiler for a few minutes.
Doing this quick, final step adds SO much flavor to this beef skillet you really don’t want to leave it out.
SHOP THIS RECIPE!
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes?
- Fiesta Steak Bites
- Chicken Pot Pie Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Enchiladas
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
This low carb beef dinner is so full of flavor, it is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
- 1/2 cup pignoli nuts
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 lb. sirloin or strip steak, cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8.5 ounce) jar sliced sun dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning
- Add the pignoli nuts to a large, dry skillet and toast until lightly browned. Remove the nuts from the pan to cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet, then add the cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Cook the cauliflower for 5-7 minutes until tender and lightly browned, them remove the cauliflower to a plate.
- Melt the butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season steak generously with salt and pepper then add to the skillet in an even layer. Let the steak sear for 4-5 minutes before turning, then turn the beef and sear on the other side for another 4-5 minutes. Remove the steak from the pan to the plate with the cauliflower and cover with foil.
- Turn the heat down to medium, then add the onions and cook for 7-8 minutes until just tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic to the onions, stir and cook for one minute.
- Now add the beef and cauliflower back to the skillet, along with the sun dried tomatoes and the toasted pignoli nuts.
- Pour in the vinegar, stir and check for seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Top with parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and serve. * See note
For an extra crunch, place the skillet under the broiler for 2 minutes after adding the parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low carb dinner, low carb meal, beef, cauliflower, healthy recipe, healthy dinner, one skillet recipe, low carb recipe