This Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Bread is one of our favorite appetizer recipes! Serve this sausage bread with marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
An Addicting Sausage Stuffed Bread Appetizer
Let’s talk about stuffed bread for a second. Sausage Rolls, Stromboli, Calzones. Whatever you want to call bread with some sort of filling inside.
Here’s what I can’t stand – when you order your sausage roll, or your Stromboli, and it comes with the smallest amount of filling and all bread. Or on the other hand, you get your stuffed bread and it’s ALL cheese. Just a bunch of cheese oozing out of the bread. Not good.
What I’m talking about here is ratios. You need to have the right ratio of ingredients for a stuffed bread.
So in my constant disappointment of ordering stuffed bread of any kind out at restaurants, I decided to do it right and make my own. I’m love sausage and peppers so I went with that combination of ingredients for this recipe. You can switch up the filling ingredients to whatever you like, chicken, ground beef, mushrooms, different cheeses, etc.
How Do You Make This Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Bread?
To keep it easy, I used a store-bought italian bread dough.
Start by cooking the onions and peppers together with a pound of Italian sausage in a large skillet for about 15 minutes.
Divide the filling in half and let cool.
Open one of the dough packages and set the loaf on a floured cutting board. What you want to do is cut a line right down the center but not all the way through so that you can open it into a rectangle like this.
Next you’re going to roll out the dough into a 15″x7″ rectangle, approximately, don’t worry too much about the size.
Once the filling is cooled, take half the filling and lay it down the center of your rolled out dough. Then fold over each half of the dough to seal the bread, using an egg wash to help it stick together.
Here’s where you’ll put the egg wash, then fold over the other side of the dough to close the bread up.
Repeat with the other loaf and place on a baking sheet, seam side down in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
Once they cool for a few minutes, slice carefully and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
We also like to make this sausage roll for dinner! Instead of ordering pizza we can have this homemade sausage bread on the table before delivery comes!
Looking For More Appetizers?
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sloppy Joe Mini Mac Sliders
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
This sausage and peppers stuffed bread is an epic appetizer recipe for parties! Or make it for dinner instead of ordering pizza!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, sweet or hot, casings removed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 packages of Pillsbury Italian Bread
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Pray a large skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage crumbling as it cooks.
- Add the onions and peppers, cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes. Drain any drippings from the pan if needed.
- Season the sausage with salt and pepper to taste, then add the garlic powder, oregano and basil.
- Divide the filling in half, then set aside to cool.
- Open the package of dough and place the loaf on a floured board. Make a cut down the center of the loaf to butterfly the loaf open. You won’t cut all the way through, just cut enough to spread the loaf in half and spread out slightly.
- Place half of the filling down the center of the dough. Add the 1/2 of the provolone and 1/2 of the mozzarella on top of the filling.
- Fold half of the dough over the filling, brush with egg wash, then fold the other half of the dough over to seal. Fold both ends over and press to seal with egg wash.
- Place the stuffed bread seam side down on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the entire loaf with egg wash then add some parmesan cheese on top.
- Repeat with the other loaf.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully slice and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: appetizer recipes, italian sausage recipes, stuffed bread, sausage roll