This sausage and peppers stuffed bread is an epic appetizer recipe for parties! Or make it for dinner instead of ordering pizza!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, sweet or hot, casings removed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 packages of Pillsbury Italian Bread
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Pray a large skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage crumbling as it cooks.
- Add the onions and peppers, cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes. Drain any drippings from the pan if needed.
- Season the sausage with salt and pepper to taste, then add the garlic powder, oregano and basil.
- Divide the filling in half, then set aside to cool.
- Open the package of dough and place the loaf on a floured board. Make a cut down the center of the loaf to butterfly the loaf open. You won’t cut all the way through, just cut enough to spread the loaf in half and spread out slightly.
- Place half of the filling down the center of the dough. Add the 1/2 of the provolone and 1/2 of the mozzarella on top of the filling.
- Fold half of the dough over the filling, brush with egg wash, then fold the other half of the dough over to seal. Fold both ends over and press to seal with egg wash.
- Place the stuffed bread seam side down on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the entire loaf with egg wash then add some parmesan cheese on top.
- Repeat with the other loaf.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully slice and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: appetizer recipes, italian sausage recipes, stuffed bread, sausage roll