Try these Thanksgiving Quesadillas to use up all you leftovers from Thanksgiving, and we’re not talking just turkey sandwiches here!
The leftovers. What to do with all the leftovers.
Look no further than these Thanksgiving Quesadillas!
I don’t know about your house but in my house anything tex-mex night rules. Taco night is a favorite dinner night along with anything else Mexican.
The wife is known by some of our friends for her quesadillas – mostly the friends kids. She can do all sorts of fillings that are amazing…but what do the kids want?
Chicken and cheese. But they probably love them because they’re so crispy on the outside and the wife has a secret for that.
So it was her idea to take our Thanksgiving leftovers and turn them into quesadillas – because no one wants boring, re-heated leftovers.
The wife’s secret to her crispy quesadillas? Mayonnaise.
Instead of using olive oil or butter she spreads thin layers of mayonnaise on the outside of the tortillas. They are so full of flavor and crispy they are pretty much irresistible.
What you need to make this leftover recipe is some turkey, leftover stuffing and whatever kind of cheese you like. Stick to a mild one though like mozzarella or jack or even a white cheddar so those Thanksgiving leftovers shine.
As you know, we make The Best Sausage Stuffing ever, so you know it’s going to be awesome in these turkey quesadillas. You can definitely use any leftover stuffing you have though, it’s still going to be amazing.
So get all of your ingredients ready, then spread some mayo on one tortilla and lay it down in a dry pan over medium heat. Now comes the fun part, layering on all the yummy filling.
Stuff as much as you can in there and then cover with another tortilla, pressing down with a dinner plate on top.
When the bottom is brown, remove the plate and spread the top tortilla with a thin layer of mayo then flip.
If you don’t have mad quesadilla flipping skills, you can also slide the quesadilla on to a plate, flip the plate over and then slide the quesadillas back into the skillet.
That’s what I ended up doing. Mad flipping skills still to come…
Give it a few minutes to brown the other side and then slide it out to a cutting board and repeat with your other tortillas.
AND if you have any leftover gravy it makes the perfect dipping sauce for these quesadillas. If you don’t, grab a pack of turkey gravy at the store, it only takes about a minute to put together and sometimes I think the kids even like it better!
Cranberry sauce sitting in the fridge? Layer that in the quesadillas or use it for dipping too.
Everyone ended up loving these Thanksgiving Quesadillas so much, we might have to make them all year round!
Kind of like we do with my favorite sausage stuffing!
Thanksgiving leftovers are transformed when you make these crispy, Thanksgiving Quesadillas!
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded turkey
- 2 cups stuffing, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) bag shredded mozzarella or white cheddar cheese
- leftover gravy
- leftover cranberry sauce
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Spread a very thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of a tortilla and place in the hot skillet.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on another tortilla and have it ready on your board.
- Take one cup of the shredded turkey and spread in an even layer on the tortilla.
- Now, take one cup of the chopped up stuffing and spread that evenly over the turkey.
- Add half of the bag of shredded cheese, spread out evenly, then top with the other tortilla, mayonnaise side up.
- Press down with a dinner plate and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Check the bottom with a spatula to see if it’s brown, careful not to let it burn.
- Once the bottom is browned, take the plate off the top and carefully flip the quesadilla over with a large spatula. Or, you can slide the quesadilla out onto a board, then top with a dinner plate and flip over to carefully slide back into the skillet.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the second side, pressing down with the dinner plate on top.
- Remove to a board and repeat with the other 2 tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters and serve with warmed up gravy for dipping and leftover cranberry sauce on the side.
You can make these even if you don’t have leftovers. Use sliced turkey from the deli or buy a rotisserie chicken and a boxed stuffing mix. You can dress it up with mushrooms, sausage or whatever you put in your regular stuffing. When we don’t have homemade gravy, we use McCormick gravy packets. We always have them on hand for a gravy fix!
Keywords: thanksgiving leftovers, leftover recipes, turkey leftovers, leftover stuffing, quesadilla recipe, appetizer recipe