Pickled Shrimp and Vegetables are a delicious, healthy appetizer to make for company or even a light dinner for busy weeknights!
A Healthy Seafood Appetizer Recipe
Over the summer a few of our friends got together and went to Atlantic City for an overnight trip…one night is long enough for me in AC, but it’s definitely fun to do once in a while. We went to Bobby Flay’s American Grill for dinner – which was awesome- but we also went to a place called Village Whiskey at the Revel for lunch.
Village Whiskey has an large whiskey menu (as you can imagine) but also lots of interesting and different snacks and appetizers. One of them is their selection of pickled vegetables. I know it doesn’t sound like a “wow” appetizer – it didn’t to me at the time either. But everyone was going nuts about it and insisted that I try them.
Hot To Make Pickled Shrimp and Vegetables
Start out by boiling the shrimp in some lemon and salt – a few minutes is all they need. Then toss them together with carrots, cauliflower, onions, fresh dill, peppercorns and olive oil and vinegar.
Toss together and refrigerate for a couple of hours or up to overnight. Not longer than overnight or the shrimp will get “too” pickled. Really the best thing to do is to make this Pickled Shrimp and Vegetables the morning that you need them and serve them up that night.
Yep I love the fried appetizers like these Fried Shiitake Mushrooms and I love the cheesy apps like this Cheesy Artichoke Bread but once in a while you need a strong martini and a light appetizer…the drinks go down smoother!
- Looking For More Healthy Appetizers?
- Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Mango BBQ Sauce
- Asian Shrimp Cocktail
- Roasted Shrimp Cocktail
- Sesame Shrimp Bites with Lemon Aioli
Pickled Shrimp and Vegetables
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This healthy, tasty appetizer is perfect for happy hour or for holidays!
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 15 baby carrots sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 7–8 sprigs of fresh dill
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- Squeeze the lemon into a medium pot of boiling water, add the salt and then the shrimp.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp is firm and opaque.
- Drain the shrimp and let cool.
- To a large container or a mason jar, add the vegetables, the dill, the vinegar and oil, the sugar and peppercorns.
- Seal the container and shake to combine the ingredients, then add the cooked shrimp.
- Toss again to coat the shrimp and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
Additional vegetables to include could be celery, cauliflower, or jicama.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: appetizers, appetizer recipes, shrimp appetizers, seafood appetizers, healthy recipes, pickled shrimp