This Bacon Shrimp Toast is so good, you’ll never order it from take out again! This is the appetizer recipe that everyone will be asking you to make!
What Is Shrimp Toast?
As much as I loved the flavor of shrimp toast the first time I tried it, I knew I could make it taste even better. Shrimp toast is a Chinese dim sum dish that is made with a minced shrimp filling on top of triangles of bread.
I honestly have never had shrimp toast in a restaurant or from take out but we had a last minute get together a couple of weeks ago. These were frozen appetizers that were just heated up and I have to tell you, they were amazing.
This is when I decided to make homemade Bacon Shrimp Toast, because everything is better with bacon.
How Do You Make Shrimp Toast?
Making shrimp toast is really pretty easy to do, the trick is to fry the toast lightly and not burn it. Because we did end up burning just a few…
All you need to do is get shrimp, bacon and a few other seasonings into a food processor. Blend until smooth but not a total puree, some pieces of shrimp are definitely ok.
Process the mixture until it’s smooth then spread it onto thick slices of white bread and top with sesame seeds.
Now it’s time to fry them up! Just a shallow fry here but get enough oil in the skillet to fry these up evenly.
A couple of minutes is all it takes to get the top side nice and browned and the shrimp cooked though, then flip them over to the other side for just a minute.
Maybe you’ll do a better job than I did since I burned a few of these the first time not knowing how quickly the second side fries up so keep an eye on these…
Pretty simple…pretty tasty.
I’ll let you know about heating these Bacon Shrimp Toast up if you’re looking to make them ahead of time or even freezing them. That process is happening as we speak.
What To Do With Leftover Shrimp Toast?
If there are any…the boys will get warmed up shrimp toast for dinner and the next random party will get frozen reheated Bacon Shrimp Toast for apps!
So you can either freeze them and reheat or just warm them in a low oven the next day! Let’s be honest, you probably won’t have any left but just in case…
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes?Print
A delicious homemade Bacon Shrimp Toast recipe! Forget take out, this tasty appetizer can be made right at home!
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, tails removed and deveined
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (or fresh grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg white
- White and black sesame seeds
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Duck sauce for serving
- Chives for garnish
- Add the shrimp, bacon, scallions, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil and egg white into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the mixture onto a slice of bread in an even layer, cover with sesame seeds and cut into 4 triangles. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- Add enough oil to a skillet to come about 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Place the shrimp toast sesame seed side down into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for one more minute being careful to watch so the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining shrimp toast.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve with duck sauce for dipping.
- Category: appetizers
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: shrimp toast recipe, bacon shrimp toast, appetizer recipes, better than take out, bacon recipes, shrimp recipes