This Sausage and Pancake Breakfast Sandwich is better than the drive through! A homemade pork sausage patty with homemade pancakes that can all be made ahead!
A Make Ahead Breakfast Recipe
I was thinking of calling this a “Copycat” McGriddle but then I thought about it and changed my mind. Because these sandwiches are way better than what you would get at McDonalds. And way better for you too. I’m not calling it health food, but it’s got to be better for you than the drive-thru.
These Pancake and Maple Sausage Sandwich start out with a homemade maple sausage patty. Then the homemade sausage patty gets sandwiched between two maple flavored pancakes.
You can use whatever pancake mix you normally make, we make our own homemade pancake mix most of the time, but we’re not opposed to grabbing a box for bust mornings or recipes like this.
Everything can be made ahead of time, even frozen and assembled and heated up in about 2 minutes for a fast breakfast that’s way better for you than hitting the drive through!
How Do You Make This Sausage and Pancake Breakfast Sandwich?
You add your ground pork and seasonings to a bowl – mix – form into patties about the size shown below and cook for a few minutes each side.
You can make the sausage patties ahead of time and freeze them individually so you can pull them out for a quick breakfast, or dinner like I mentioned before.
Set the sausage aside and wipe out the skillet to make your pancakes. Take your pancake batter and pour onto the hot skillet in 1/4 cup portions. Cook them until they’re brown on both sides then remove to a plate to cool.
Repeat with remaining batter until you have 16 small pancakes.
Now it’s time to make the sandwiches! Pancake goes on the bottom, sausage on top of the pancake, then another pancake on top of the sausage. You can pour some syrup all over the sausage patty before you put the top layer on if you want to…and we wanted to.
What Toppings Can I Add To This Breakfast Sandwich?
These sausage and pancake sandwiches are super tasty as is, but if you’re looking for more…we’ve got you covered!
- Fried Egg or scrambled egg
- Sliced Tomato
Our boys like to see what we have in the refrigerator whenever we make this breakfast sandwich recipe so that they can pile everything on top! Or sometimes if they are heading out the door to the bus they just take it as is.
Looking For More Breakfast Recipes?
- Taylor Ham Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Crustless Ham & Broccoli Quiche
- Corned Beef Hash
- Western Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
These tasty sausage breakfast sandwiches are so much better than hitting the drive though!
16 small pancakes, use your favorite store bought or homemade pancake mix
For the Pork Sausage Patties:
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 t. ground fennel or whole crushed fennel seed
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Maple syrup for serving
- Fried or scrambled eggs
- Add all the ingredients for the pork sausage patties into a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Form the pork mixture into 8 round patties and add to the skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until no longer pink in the middle, then remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Assemble the pork sausage patties on 8 of the cooked pancakes, then pour a little maple syrup on the sausage and top with another pancake to make a sandwich.
You can freeze the sausage patties in a resealable bag for up to 3 months. You can also use frozen pancakes for the sandwiches, or make your own pancakes and freeze them as well.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: breakfast sandwich recipe, make ahead breakfast recipes, homemade sausage recipe, pork sausage recipe