Fried Bocconcini Balls are a fun twist on mozzarella sticks! Small fried balls of cheese that are dipped in sauce make the perfect appetizer!
An Easy Cheese Appetizer Perfect for Parties
Still thinking about cheese…
I’m all for a fried mozzarella stick for an appetizer. They’re good, a staple. Nothing to go really nuts about though.
But these fried bocconcini bites are definitely something to go nuts about. Bocconcini are those little balls of fresh mozzarella that come packed in water, you can usually get them in the deli section of your grocery store.
I love the flavor and texture of fresh mozzarella as opposed to the regular stuff. I mean when you think about it, how can you go wrong with fresh bocconcini thats breaded and fried?
They not too hard to put together either, which makes them even better.
How to Make Fried Bocconcini
You set up the traditional breading station, bread crumbs, eggs and flour.
Take your bocconcini out of the water and dry them off well.
Bread them in the usual way, flour first, then the eggs, then the bread crumbs. The key to these bocconcini bites is that you have to bread them two times. Yes, you have to double bread these things so that the cheese doesn’t explode when you fry them.
Did it- I tried the easy way- don’t do it.
It’s a little bit of work, but I promise you, it’s worth it.
After you bread them you have to stick them in the freezer for 20 minutes. Be patient- let them chill.
OK, I’ll be honest with you, I skipped this step. As you can see in the final picture, I did get some cheese oozing out a little bit, which is what the freezing will help prevent. But oozing cheese really doesn’t bother me.
Make up your quick spicy marinara sauce, or you can use your favorite jarred sauce, and dive in. You can also dust the tops lightly with parmesan cheese to make them look nice, and what’s wrong a little more cheese?
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes?Print
Fried Bocconcini is such a delicious appetizer recipe! Breaded bocconcini cheese fried to golden, crispy perfection.
- 2 packages, 8 oz. containers of fresh bocconcini
- 1 cup of Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1 cup of flour
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Lay the bocconcini out on paper towels and dry them off well. Set up a breading station with the flour in one dish, the eggs and a splash of milk in another dish and the bread crumbs in the last dish.
- Dip the bocconcini in the flour first, then the egg mixture and last coat them in the bread crumbs. Go through all the mozzarella balls this way until they’re done. Then repeat the breading process. Lay the breaded cheese balls on a sheet pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Fill a deep sided pot half way with the oil and heat until the temperature reaches 400 degrees. Fry the bocconcini in batches so you don’t over-crowd your pot and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and parmesan cheese as soon as they come out of the oil. Repeat until all the bocconcini are fried and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American / Italian
Keywords: fried bocconcini, easy cheese appetizer, easy appetizer recipe, party appetizer idea, new years appetizer, thanksgiving appetizer