Fried Bocconcini is such a delicious appetizer recipe! Breaded bocconcini cheese fried to golden, crispy perfection.
- 2 packages, 8 oz. containers of fresh bocconcini
- 1 cup of Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1 cup of flour
- salt and peeper
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a pinch or two or crushed red pepper flakes
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Lay the bocconcini out on paper towels and dry them off well. Set up a breading station with the flour in one dish, the eggs and a splash of milk in another dish and the bread crumbs in the last dish.
- Dip the bocconcini in the flour first, then the egg mixture and last coat them in the bread crumbs. Go through all the mozzarella balls this way until they’re done. Then repeat the breading process.
- Lay them on a sheet pan and freeze for 20 minutes. You can skip this step if you’d like, the cheese will just ooze out a little more.
- Fill a deep sided pot half way with the oil and heat until the temperature reaches 400 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, just throw a cube of bread into the oil after about 15 minutes. if it fries up crisp in a few seconds, you’re ready to go.
- Fry the bocconcini in batches so you don’t over-crowd your pot and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt or parmesan cheese as soon as they come out of the oil. Repeat until all the bocconcini are fried and let rest for 5 minutes.
For the Spicy Marinara Sauce
- Cook the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil on low heat for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add a pinch or two of the crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you want your sauce.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can start the sauce before you fry the bocconcini so that they will both be done at the same time. Or you can swap out jarred marinara sauce, too.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: fried bocconcini, easy cheese appetizer, easy appetizer recipe, party appetizer idea, new years appetizer, thanksgiving appetizer