With a kick of cinnamon and dazzling flakes of real gold, Blackbeard’s Rum and Coke cocktail gives the classic drink a decadent tropical twist. Its sweet, boozy flavor brings a fun and bubbly flair that will make you feel like you’re on vacation no matter where you are!
Refreshing Rum and Coke Cocktail With Goldschlager
This refreshing cocktail is the perfect drink for summer, or when you just want to capture that easy sense of fun. Sure, it’s a classic drink that you’ve probably tried before, but this time it comes with a twist. The secret ingredient that sets this rum and Coke recipe apart is Goldschlager, which gives it a subtle cinnamon flavor and comes with tiny flakes of real gold.
This cocktail is super easy to make. When you just want a lazy day out in the sun, the cold Coke and ice make it an amazing way to stay cool. Add some fresh fruit as the garnish to give it a tropical flair, and kick back and relax with this fresh spin on a classic drink.
Why is This Called Blackbeard’s Rum and Coke?
Blackbeard was famous for setting up post on St. Thomas in the Blackbeard Castle, which still stands today and is now available to tour. He would climb up to the top with his rum and watch for ships to come into port so that he could rob them. The real gold flakes in this cocktail represent the plunder of Blackbeard’s long-ago crew, floating in a glass of his favorite drink.
What You’ll Need
With only 4 ingredients, it doesn’t get much better than this. Check out the recipe card below to find the exact amounts you’ll need.
- Rum: I used light rum, but you can switch that out for your favorite brand.
- Fresh Fruit: I went with starfruit slices and maraschino cherries.
What Kind of Rum Should I Use?
Avoid spiced rums, which can give the Coke an odd taste. Other than that, you can’t really go wrong. I used light rum, but if you like the woody, aged flavor of dark rum, go ahead and use that instead. Just be aware that it will be a stronger flavor, and could overpower the cola.
How to Make Rum and Coke
This drink is a breeze to mix. In less than 3 minutes, you’ll have an ice cold rum and Coke to enjoy.
- Add the Rum: Pour the rum into a low ball glass filled with ice.
- Add the Goldschlager: Pour the Goldschlager into the rum and stir them together.
- Add the Coke and Serve: Finally, add the Coke and garnish your drink with fruit if you want to. Serve it right away.
Tips for Success
It’s almost impossible to mess this drink up. Even so, keep these things in mind as you mix your cocktail.
- Don’t Let It Sit: When you let your rum and Coke sit for too long, you’re going to lose the carbonation. If you want to keep those bubbles, make sure you enjoy your drink right after you make it.
- Don’t Mix After Adding the Coke: For the same reason you don’t want to let this drink sit, you also don’t want to stir it too much once the cola is added. Too much stirring can release all the bubbles and leave you with a flat cocktail.
- Make Sure the Coke is Cold: Warm Coke is, you guessed it – quicker to lose its carbonation. To keep those bubbles around for a little bit longer, make sure you keep your cola in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
The best way to shake this drink up is to try a different kind of soda. Here are some options to get you started.
- Pepsi: Some people just prefer one type of cola over another. Besides Coke, Pepsi is another popular option. You can also go for RC, or try a specialty brand if you’re feeling fancy.
- Root Beer: Rum and root beer has a pretty nice ring to it. Root beer has a stronger flavor than cola, so be aware that it’s going to change the taste. Still, it’s a good option if you want a more interesting flavor profile.
- Lime and Club Soda: If you want to go really sophisticated with it, add club soda for the bubbles and a few drops of lime juice.
- Switch Up the Fruit: Let’s move away from the soda options and talk about garnishes. The starfruit and maraschino cherry combo that I used went great together, but there are tons of other tasty options as well. Hook a slice of lemon or lime over the rim of the glass for a kick of citrus. Diced pineapple is a classic that fits well with the tropical theme, or you can go with sliced strawberries. Get creative with it!
A refreshing cocktail just isn’t complete without some finger foods to go with it. These Bacon Wrapped Scallops bring big flavor in a small package. The saltiness of the bacon pairs well with the rum, and the flavor of the scallops fits perfectly with the tropical theme. And what goes better with an ice cold drink than mini hotdogs? Try these Little Smokies, which should pair particularly well if you went with a dark rum, since the aged flavor compliments the smokiness of these cocktail weiners beautifully.
Can I Make This in Advance?
You can do some prep in advance, but you should probably wait to add the Coke. Like I said earlier, leaving this drink around, even if it’s in the fridge, will make it get flat fast. However, you can put together the rum and Goldschlager and wait to add the Coke until you’re ready to drink it. Make sure you also wait to add the ice so your cocktail doesn’t get watery.
More Easy Mixed Drinks to TryPrint
With a kick of cinnamon and dazzling flakes of real gold, this Rum and Coke cocktail gives the classic drink a decadent tropical twist. Its sweet, boozy flavor brings a fun and bubbly flair that will make you feel like you’re on vacation no matter where you are!
- 2 ounces light rum
- 3/4 ounce Goldschlager
- 4 ounces Coke
- Fruit for garnish
- Add the rum and Goldschlager to a low ball glass filled with ice.
- Add the Coke and garnish with fruit if desired.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: goldschlager, rum cocktail, rum drinks