Chopped Chicken Taco Salad is one of our favorite ways to have taco night! Load up all the salad toppings then pour on our Creamy Salsa Dressing!
Salad bowls like this have become a fan favorite in our house for dinner. How did we get to a point that salad night for dinner was a fun night? This Chopped Chicken Taco Salad definitely had a part in that.
We throw all the salad toppings on the dinner table and give everyone a bowl of lettuce as a base. Then everyone gets to choose which toppings they want, some like it spicy with peppers – some don’t – some like beans and some don’t.
The fun part is making sure you have a lot of toppings to choose from so the salad bowls are loaded up.
There’s three reasons that this salad is so good – one is the chicken. It’s seasoned the way we make our Chicken Fajita Rice, with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and olive oil then baked until it’s really juicy and really delicious.
The other tasty part to this salad is obviously the dressing. We make this Easy Creamy Salsa Dressing all the time for salads, dips, sandwich toppings…we use it on a ton of things. And the best part is that everyone likes it, so a double recipe is usually in order.
And the last reason? It’s more of a way of eating the salad, not an ingredient but we call it a chopped salad because we chop it up. Once you get your toppings and dressing loaded up we take a fork and knife and cut it up, tossing it together with the dressing. Not a new concept – just one that we like. That way every bite has the right amount of dressing all over it. Not a bite of naked lettuce with zero dressing…that’s enough to make me stop eating a salad all together, so it’s got to be tossed.
And once the salad is all chopped up and tossed together…the boys like to scoop it up with tortilla chips. We crush ours up on top but whatever makes them happy.
So try this Chopped Chicken Taco Salad on your taco night instead of tacos…you might be surprised the next time your family asks for “salad” night!
Cilantro is optional for garnish, I know that’s not everyone’s favorite flavor…
Beer for the adults – not optional.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped (or you can grab 2 - 12 oz. bags of romaine)
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 recipe of Easy Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl, then season both side of the chicken.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let cool while you assemble the salad.
- You can either assemble the salad in a large bowl with all of the toppings, toss with the dressing and serve or place the romaine in 4 bowls and let everyone choose their own toppings.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad, and chop up with a fork and knife, tossing all of the ingredients together with the dressing.