If you need a quick and comforting dinner that you’re whole family is going to love, this Beefy Tomato Soup is what you’re looking for!
It’s an easy one-pot meal that you can make ahead of time and have waiting for you for dinner. Add a loaf of bread or crackers and dinner is done.
My little guy’s favorite kind of soup is tomato soup with basil – add a half a loaf of buttered bread and he’ll sit there all night. But for me, I like some sort of meat in soup – whatever it is – chicken, turkey, sausage or beef.
In comes Beefy Tomato Soup…
I grabbed some ground beef from the freezer, cream cheese from the fridge, onions, basil and garlic from the pantry and got to work.
Usually we use crushed tomatoes to make tomato soup but this time we were out. It’s one of those things you always think you have…until you don’t. So instead I grabbed a jar of pasta sauce from the shelf.
This recipe is just one of the ways I like to use spaghetti sauce in recipes as a short cut and a boost of flavor.
I started the soup by browning the meat with the onions and garlic.
Add in a few seasonings and then chicken stock and a whole jar of spaghetti sauce.
Give it a stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cream cheese to make it nice and thick, then a little fresh basil and finally – pour in the pasta.
Put the lid on a let the soup cook for another 10 minutes until the pasta is tender and dinner is served. We use this Stainless Stockpot for our soups, sauces, and pasta dinners all the time!
Try this Beefy Tomato Soup tonight and see if it turns into one of your family favorites, too!
*NOTE – A few of our readers have commented that the noodles soak up all the broth when you reheat the next day…Now some readers (including me) love this about this soup and some don’t. If you want the soup for leftovers with more broth, cook the pasta separately and then add it to each bowl as you heat it up!
- ¾ lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (23.5) oz jar of spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni or short-tubed pasta
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil, divided
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until the onion softens.
- Add the ground beef to the onions, breaking up with a spoon and cook until no longer pink.
- Next add the salt, pepper and oregano to the beef and stir to combine.
- Now pour in the chicken stock and the pasta sauce, stir and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth then add ½ of the fresh basil.
- Pour in the pasta, stir and let cook for 10 minutes, covered, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with the leftover basil.
*If you want this soup for leftovers, cook the pasta separately and then add to the soup with each bowl.