Sweet Corn Succotash can be made with fresh, frozen and even leftover corn from your refrigerator! This side dish recipe goes great with almost any meal!
What Is Succotash?
When fresh corn is in season we’re at the farm stand at least once a week. Where we live there’s lots of places to choose from, but the one that we like getting corn from is about 15 minutes from our house.
If you leave corn in it’s husks and keep it in the fridge it’ll keep fresh for about a week, so stock up when you go! And if you have any leftover corn, just whip up some of this Sweet Corn Succotash.
Succotash is typically a side dish recipe that uses sweet corn and lima beans. But no one in my family really likes lima beans so they we didn’t use them in this succotash recipe.
This vegetable side dish recipe works if your corn is uncooked or cooked, frozen or fresh. Obviously you’ll have to give it a few extra minutes in the pan if it’s not cooked but it all works out the same.
How Do You Make Corn Succotash?
If you are using fresh corn on the cob, start by cutting the kernels off the cob. Place the corn cob into a large bowl so the kernels don’t fly all over your kitchen.
If you are using frozen, canned or leftover corn just proceed to the next step of the recipe.
Next melt butter in a large skillet and add onions peppers and a few seasonings. Once the vegetables have softened you can add in the cream and fresh basil.
Adjust the seasonings if needed and serve.
Can You Make This Succotash Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely, we make big batches of this corn succotash and keep it in the refrigerator for quick side dishes to dinner or just a snack.
All you need to do is warm it up in the microwave and possibly add a splash of chicken broth or cream to moisten it up again.
What Dinner Recipes Go Well With Succotash?
Honestly, just about anything. Side dishes like this corn succotash are so versatile they can be served with so many different meals! Here’s a few ideas!
An easy vegetable side dish that can use frozen corn, canned corn or even leftover corn form dinner or a holiday meal!
- 4 cups fresh, frozen or canned corn
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the onion and cook for 3-4 minuets until softened.
- Add the corn and bell pepper to the skillet and cook for 5-10 minutes. Shorter if the corn is already cooked and longer (closer to 10 minuets) if the corn is frozen or raw.
- Stir in one tablespoon of the fresh basil.
- Pour in the cream and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes until the cream has reduced, then top with the other tablespoon of fresh basil and serve.
Keywords: corn succotash, vegetables succotash, side dish, leftover recipes, easy side dish, vegetable side dishes, corn recipes