These Beefy Taco Zucchini Boats are bursting with flavor! Use up all that zucchini from your garden and make this healthy, low carb dinner tonight!
If you grow zucchini in your garden we know you’ve got it coming out of everywhere right about now. These Beefy Taco Zucchini Boats are one of our favorite ways to cook them up!
Not only is this zucchini recipe low carb, but it’s a ridiculously delicious without being too over the top. There’s a smooth creaminess to this beefy filling with the addition of cream cheese, but you can definitely leave it out if you want to.
We love roasting zucchini with just olive oil, salt and pepper as a side dish, sort of like how we start this recipe off…but I have to tell you the beefy, taco flavored filling in this zucchini recipe is so worth the extra step.
Once you hollow out the centers of each zucchini half, drizzle them with salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet or in a baking dish while you make the filling.
What Other Ingredients Can I Use In This Filling?
Definitely ground turkey or ground chicken, even ground pork.
Maybe you’re not taco obsessed like we are? Or like everyone is??? No problem. Just leave out the taco seasoning and maybe the cumin and follow the recipe accordingly.
You can also add different ingredients to these zucchini boats like peppers or mushrooms, get as many veggies in there as you can!
Bake the zucchini halves for about 25 minutes until the zucchini is tender and the filling is warned through. Add a few more minutes to this part of the oven time if you like your zucchini on the softer side.
The size of the zucchini will make a difference in the cooking time here so a good time to check it is after 25 minutes, then if you want them a little more tender just place the tray back in the oven for a few more minutes.
For the size zucchini you see here 25 minutes, covered was the perfect fork tender for us, still a little crisp but cooked all the way though.
Now it’s time to cover those zucchini boats with cheese…lots of cheese.
Our kids are kind of weird in the fact that they don’t like things dripping with tons of cheese. I mean, I think it’s weird but maybe some of you know what I’m talking about.
So add as much or as little cheese here as you like!
I have to say, our boys loved these Beefy Taco Zucchini Boats way more than we thought they would. They’ve come up with a lot of different “stuffing” ideas that we’ve been trying too!
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes?
- Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 30 Low Carb Dinner Ideas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Cauliflower Pork Fried “Rice”
- 2 large zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 ounces cream cheese (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the zucchini on a large baking sheet or baking dish. Scoop out the inside flesh and seeds to make a well in each zucchini half. Dry out any moisture with a paper towel. Drizzle each half with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the zucchini onto a baking sheet.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 5 minutes until softened, then add the beef breaking up until browned through.
- Drain any grease from the pan, then add the garlic and cream cheese (if using) stirring until the cheese is melted into the filling.
- Stir the tomato paste, salt, pepper, cumin, taco seasoning and diced tomatoes into the filling, then remove from the heat.
- Divide the filling between the 4 zucchini halves then bake, covered with foil for 25 minutes.
- Take the zucchini out of the oven, removing the foil and discarding. Top the zucchini boats with the cheese and bake for another 5-8 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 165mg Sodium: 1368mg Carbohydrates: 9.5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 65g