This Pasta Da Vinci recipe is a spot-on replica of the famous Cheesecake Factory dish! The rich and creamy pasta sauce is filled with juicy chicken and hearty mushrooms, and soaked up by penne pasta. It’s comforting, hearty, and fun to make.
Homemade Cheesecake Factory Pasta Da Vinci
Pasta da vinci is one of the most popular items on the menu at The Cheesecake Factory, and it’s not hard to understand why. The sauce is incredibly creamy, the chicken is moist and tender, and the mushrooms add an earthy flavor to the dish.
This recipe for pasta da vinci hits all of those elements. The rich sauce has heavy cream, sour cream, cheese, and butter, and the chicken is super juicy. Shiitake mushrooms add extra flavor and heartiness, and a splash of garlic and tomato paste tie the dish together.
If you’re looking for a restaurant-quality dish that you can make at home, look no further. This pasta da vinci is just as good, or maybe even better than what you’ll find at The Cheesecake Factory, but you don’t even need to leave your home.
This is one of my favorites, and it will quickly become one of yours, too.
Ingredients for Pasta Da Vinci
Here are the ingredients that you need for pasta da vinci. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the exact amounts of each ingredient.
- Penne pasta – You can use other types of pasta if you prefer, but penne is the most authentic, and the best for this sauce.
- Chicken breast – Make sure to use skinless, boneless breasts.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter for this dish.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper – Be sure to use freshly-ground black pepper.
- Shiitake mushrooms – Shiitakes are the ideal mushroom for this dish, but if you don’t have any you can use button, crimini, or portobello mushrooms.
- Red onion – You can use white onions, yellow onions, or shallots if you don’t have any red onions.
- Tomato paste
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese – For the best tasting pasta da vinci, use freshly-grated parmesan cheese.
- Fresh parsley – Parsley is used as a garnish.
How to Make Pasta Da Vinci
Here’s how to make this rich and creamy pasta dish.
- Make the pasta. Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water according to the instructions on the package.
- Cook the chicken. While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cubes of chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until it’s brown on all sides, which should take about 5 minutes. When the chicken is done, transfer it to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook the mushrooms and onions. Add the rest of the butter to the skillet, then add the mushrooms. Stir occasionally while cooking, until the mushrooms are just starting to get some color. Add the onions and stir to combine. Cook until the mushrooms are brown and the onions are soft, which should take 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste. Add the garlic to the onions and mushrooms, and cook for 1 minute. Then stir in the tomato paste.
- Deglaze. Add the wine to the pan, and stir to remove the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring the wine to a simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes as it reduces. Then add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Finish the sauce. Add the heavy cream, sour cream, and cheese to the sauce, and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens.
- Finish the pasta da vinci. Add the pasta and chicken to the sauce, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then serve with parmesan cheese and parsley on top.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few of my favorite tips for making the best possible pasta da vinci.
- Cook the penne pasta al dente. When cooking the pasta, only cook it to al dente, so it’s still a little firm. When you add the pasta to the sauce, it will continue cooking, and become the perfect temperature.
- Get some color on the mushrooms and chicken. When food browns, it takes on more flavor. Make sure you’re cooking the mushrooms and chicken at a high enough temperature that they start to brown. This will make your pasta da vinci much more flavorful.
- Taste the seasoning. I recommend going a little light on the salt in this dish, because different chicken broths have different sodium levels. Once the sauce is finished cooking, taste it and add salt and pepper as needed.
How to Store and Reheat
You can keep any pasta da vinci leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove over medium heat for 5 minutes, or in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 80% power.
Can You Freeze Pasta Da Vinci?
Absolutely! I like to keep pasta da vinci in the freezer so that I have an easy comfort meal. Just store it in an airtight container, and it will last for up to 3 months. Thaw or defrost before reheating.
More Pasta Recipes to Try
Here are a few more delicious pasta recipes for you to make.
- Creamy Tuscan spaghetti with jumbo scallops
- Brown butter lobster roll pasta
- Meatball parmesan pasta bake
- Lemony shrimp and broccoli pasta
- Pasta with sausage and broccolini
This Pasta Da Vinci recipe is creamy, rich, and hearty, with juicy chicken and succulent mushrooms. It’s a perfect replica of the popular Cheesecake Factory pasta dish!
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 10 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley and more parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken in a single layer, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Add the mushrooms, stirring into the butter. Let the mushrooms cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown. Add the onions to the skillet, stirring to combine with the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onions have softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer, then stir in the tomato paste.
- Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan, using a spatula to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Bring the wine to a simmer and then let reduce for 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the sour cream, heavy cream and parmesan cheese and whisk until incorporated into the wine and broth. Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the chicken and cooked pasta back into the skillet, stirring to combine with the sauce. Let the pasta cook in the sauce for 2-3 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and fresh, chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: mantitlement, cheesecake factory recipes, chicken pasta recipe, pasta cream sauce, white sauce pasta recipe