French Dressing Steak Marinade only has two ingredients! For the best flavor, make sure to marinate the steak overnight or at least 12 hours. Grill, slice and serve!
Also be sure to check out our popular Dan’s Famous Whiskey Steak which is a ketchup based marinated with garlic and yep – whiskey! Both the whiskey and ketchup act as tenderizers to make for the most tender, juicy steak!
An Easy & Tasty Steak Marinade!
There are so many awesome steak recipes that we tend to make over and over. This Strip Steak with Onion Sauce is a huge hit, or this Grilled Steak with Spicy Chimichurri is one we make when we’re looking for something spicy.Not that either of those recipes are difficult, but every now and then you just need quick and easy. But that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice on flavor…not at all my friends, not at all. This steak marinade has only two ingredients, which is why we make it all the time!
How To Make This Steak Marinade
All you need to make this marinade recipe is a bottle of french dressing (Catalina dressing works, too) and yellow onions. There are a couple of tricks though to getting the most flavor out of this steak marinade!
First you have to find a generally thin cut of steak. Flank steak works perfectly for this recipe, also a thinner sirloin, skirt steak, hanger steak or a tri-tip. If the steak is too thick then the marinade won’t be able to penetrate through the meat.
Poke the steak with a fork before you add the marinade just to give it some space to soak into. The next tip is to do this at least overnight! We like to marinate this steak the evening before for the next night. But this is also a really forgiving steak marinade – if you forget about it for a day, no worries.
Unlike some marinade recipes that use an acid like lemon or lime juice that you don’t want on the beef too long, this one is totally fine.
How Do You Grill This Steak Perfectly?
This is a question we get a lot. The short answer is that it’s up to how you like your steak to be cooked, medium-rare or well done? Hopefully not well done, but you do you.
What Temperature Do You Take The Steak Off The Grill?
These temperatures are for when you take the meat off the grill, then it will rise a few more degrees during the resting period.
- Rare: 130°F – 135°F
- Medium Rare: 140°F – 145°F
- Medium: 155°F – 160°F
- Well Done: 165°F – 170°F
For a thinner flank steak over medium-high heat about 3-4 minutes per side will get you about medium-rare. A flank steak is typically thicker on one end and thinner on the other end so you’ll have a few slices that should please everyone.
Another trick for getting the best grilled steak is to cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest for at least 10 minutes after it comes off the grill. This way all the juices will go back into the steak instead of all over your board.
Looking For More Marinade Recipes?
- Fiesta Steak Marinade
- The Best Steak Marinade
- Honey Chipotle Marinade
- Our Favorite Chicken Marinade
- Easy Chicken on the Grill
French Dressing Steak Marinade
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
This 2 ingredient steak marinade is so addicting, you’ll wonder why you don’t make it all the time! The longer this steak marinates – the better the flavor!
- 1 – 2 1/2 to 3 lb. sirloin steak (flank steak, hanger or skirt steak works great too, see note)
- Kosher salt, fresh black pepper and garlic powder
- 1 – 16 ounce bottle French or Catalina dressing
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Generously season the steak on both sides with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the steak in a glass dish or resealable bag. Using a fork, poke hole all over the surface of the steak for the dressing to soak into.
- Pour the dressing over the steak, flipping the steak over to make sure that it coats both sides. Add some of the onions to the bottom of the steak and some on top.
- Marinate overnight, or for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and wipe off the excess marinade with paper towels. Discard the onions.
- Grill for 5 minutes per side for medium rare. (this will depend on the thickness of your steak so always use a thermometer to check for the right temperature.)
- Remove the steak from the grill, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
Hanger steak, skirt steak and tri-tip all work great with this marinade. Thicker cuts of steak won’t absorb as much of the marinade, so try and get thinner cuts of steak for the best flavor.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, steak marinade, steak recipe, steak recipes, low carb recipes, marinade for steak, easy recipes
This steak is amazingly flavorful!!!
Thanks so much!
This steak is fantastic, beyond yummy!!
It sure is, thanks Jocelyn!
This is great for football games when time is short! Thank you!
I hope you like it – And I totally agree!
Used to have this about once a week in college – but about 40 years ago now. I always enjoyed it.
Makes you miss those college days…Thanks Cynthia, we appreciate the comment!