A Lower Carb Pizza Recipe
We actually didn’t start this Chicken Parmesan Pizza out to be a low carb recipe. But it is pretty low carb as far as pizza recipes go, so we’re going to stick with it! Instead of using bread or dough for the pizza “crust” we’re using a fried chicken patty, much like when you make chicken parmesan!
The chicken patty crust is SO crispy and delicious, it could be a meal in itself. But top it with mozzarella cheese and all your favorite pizza toppings and you’ve got yourself a party!
Ingredients To Make Chicken Parmesan Pizza
We’ll get into some pizza topping ideas a little later, but here’s the basics you’ll need to get started!
Ground Chicken: Using lean ground chicken will help the chicken patty stay together better, and there’s so much flavor in this recipe going with the extra lean chicken won’t matter at all!
Panko Bread Crumbs: Panko bread crumbs are a Japanese style bread crumb that has a coarse grind so it results in a crispier texture. Panko bread crumbs are made without crusts unlike regular breadcrumbs so they are lighter in texture.
Eggs: Eggs will help to bind the chicken patty together so it doesn’t fall apart.
Mozzarella Cheese: You can use part skim or whole milk, whichever you prefer!
Grated Parmesan Cheese: Use a good quality, nutty parmesan cheese for the best taste.
Pizza Sauce: Your favorite brand of pizza sauce will work, or you can use tomato sauce spiced up with dried oregano, basil and garlic powder.
Olive Oil: A shallow pan fry in olive oil will give these chicken patties a super crispy, flavorful crust! You can also use canola or vegetable oil.
How To Make This Chicken Parmesan Pizza
There are a few steps to making this chicken recipe, I won’t call it an easy chicken recipe…but it’s definitely worth the effort to make it!
Start by mixing the ground chicken with some seasonings and pressing it into cake pans lined with plastic wrap. Then you freeze the pans for 4 hours. You can absolutely do this ahead of time, even the night before.
When the chicken rounds are frozen, set up a breading station with three deep plates. One with breadcrumbs, one with beaten eggs and one with flour. Bread the chicken patties and get them in a large skillet with oil to fry.
You’ll want the chicken patty to look brown and crispy, just like these do. Then carefully flip the chicken patty to the other side until to cook.
Repeat with the other chicken patty and set on a paper towel lined plate. Season the chicken patties with salt and pepper as soon as they come out of the oil.
Now it’s time to top your chicken pizza! Of course you’re going to want to get mozzarella cheese on there and then any other toppings you like. You can add almost anything to these low carb pizzas, use your imagination or check out some ideas below!
- Peppers and onions
- Sliced meatballs
- Black olives
- Arugula or spinach
Once your pizza is loaded with toppings, place it on a wire rack over a sheet pan and bake until the cheese is melted. Slice into pizza wedge shapes and serve!
Shop This Recipe!
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes?
- Low Carb Sausage & Vegetables Soup
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Sausage Stuffed Chicken Rollatini
- Chicken Pot Pie Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Enchiladas
This fun chicken recipe will turn any night into a party! This chicken dinner is also a fun low carb pizza recipe!
1 pound ground chicken
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup flour
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup pizza sauce
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Line 2 – 8″ cake pans with plastic wrap.
- In a medium bowl mix the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and the garlic and onion powders.
- Divide the chicken in half and press into an even layer in the bottom of each cake pan. Wrap the edges of the plastic wrap over the top of the chicken and freeze for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow dish large enough to fit the chicken patties, then add the flour to another large shallow dish. Then mix the panko bread crumbs together with the parmesan cheese in a third large dish.
- Remove the frozen chicken patties from the plastic wrap and then coat them on both sides in the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with the other chicken patty and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook 1 chicken patty for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the other chicken patty.
- Place half of the pizza sauce on each chicken patty leaving a 1″ border around the edge.
- Add half the mozzarella cheese to each of the chicken pizzas, and whatever other toppings you’re using.
- Place each pizza on a baking sheet on top of a wire cooking rack.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil and more parmesan cheese if desired, then slice into pizza shape wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian