This Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toast is an easy dinner that can be on the table in less than 30! The cheesy toast topper is what makes this soup recipe!
A Healthy, No Cream Broccoli Soup Recipe
Soup is one of our go to meals – all year round. We definitely aren’t going to wait for the cold weather to make soup, we eat it in the summer when it’s crazy hot out too. That’s how much we like soup for dinner, especially super easy recipes like this Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toast that the whole family enjoys.
This broccoli soup is so delicious and full of flavor, we only added a little milk at the end instead of heavy cream. Of course, you can add heavy cream if you like but try it first without it!
How To Make Broccoli Soup
All there is to do for this soup is cook up an onion, garlic and the broccoli, then add in the chicken stock. Cover and let the broccoli stem inside the broth to make it tender and release the flavor.
Once that’s done it all goes into the blender. Let it cool down a few minutes so it’s not smoking hot before this step…then blend until smooth. You can also use a stick blender for this to make it super easy!
Get the soup back in your soup pot, add milk and cayenne pepper and this broccoli soup is ready to go. As soon as you get those cheese toasts ready…you can make them right in the toaster oven or pop them under the broiler.
Serve it up with lots of cheddar toasts on the side and you’ll have an amazing dinner that the whole family will love! Our kids eat so much of this soup, they don’t realize it’s pretty much 100% broccoli!
Looking For More Soup Recipes?Print
Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toast
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This tasty broccoli soup is all about the cheese toast topper! This soup is made with milk, no cream and has the most delicious comforting flavor!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli chopped into small florets (stems too)
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 thin slices crusty baquette
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the salt, stir and cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup using a stick blender until smooth. Stir in the milk and cayenne pepper and taste for seasonings. Cover to keep warm while you make the cheese toasts.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the cheese among the bread slices and toast under the broiler until melted and golden brown, about 45-60 seconds.
- Top each bowl of soup with a cheese toast and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli soup, soup recipes, healthy broccoli soup, healthy recipes, dinner recipes, dinner ideas
These thoughts and opinions are my own, this post was brought to you by our friends at Martha Stewart Living.