This tasty broccoli soup is all about the cheese toast topper! This soup is made with milk, no cream and has the most delicious comforting flavor!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli chopped into small florets (stems too)
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 thin slices crusty baquette
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the salt, stir and cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup using a stick blender until smooth. Stir in the milk and cayenne pepper and taste for seasonings. Cover to keep warm while you make the cheese toasts.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the cheese among the bread slices and toast under the broiler until melted and golden brown, about 45-60 seconds.
- Top each bowl of soup with a cheese toast and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli soup, soup recipes, healthy broccoli soup, healthy recipes, dinner recipes, dinner ideas