- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 3 1/4 pounds), stems and florets chopped separately into 1/2 inch pieces
- 7 cups College Inn® chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 thin slices crusty baquette
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onion, garlic and broccoli stems; cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the College Inn® chicken stock and salt and cover.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Uncover, add the broccoli floret and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Fill a blender halfway full (or you can use a stick blender in the pot) and puree the soup until smooth.
- Repeat in batches until all the soup is blended and return to the pot.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the cheese among the bread slices and toast under the broiler until melted and golden brown, about 45-60 seconds.
- Top each bowl of soup with a cheese toast and serve.