Got a few hundred zucchini laying around? This Zucchini Pasta Sauce is the answer. Toss it onto ravioli or your favorite pasta shape – even use it in lasagna!
This sauce is not only awesome tasting, but it uses three whole zucchini in the recipe. Because (as the wife says) there’s nothing worse than when you’re searching for a way to use up 10 huge zucchini that you have from your garden (or thankfully in our case a friend’s garden) and you finally find a recipe and it calls for a half of a cup of shredded zucchini.
In comes this Zucchini Pasta Sauce recipe!
This recipe came from our friend’s at Family Kitchen Ravioli and again, it’s outstanding. You could use this sauce on any pasta, tossed with a little parmesan cheese – dinner in 10.
You can easily adjust tis recipe to your liking, too. We added a little crushed red pepper flakes to our sauce for a little heat in the background, and you could definitely cut back on the cream if you wanted to…we did not, but if you wanted to.
And just because we had a few more zucchini left after making the sauce, we roasted some up in a sheet pan with some salt and pepper and a little olive oil to add to our plates. Zucchini overload but in the best way!
So have your friends keep growing their zucchini and handing it over when they’re overflowing, you can give them back a batch of this sauce for all their hard work!
Looking For More Pasta Recipes?Print
This pasta sauce is the perfect way to use up all that garden zucchini!
- 4 T. butter
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and cook the onion, garlic and zucchini for 15-20 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Add in the chicken broth, cream, bay leaf, thyme, then stir and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the thyme stems then puree with a stick blender until smooth.
- Add in the parsley and basil, stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can also puree the sauce in a blender, just let the sauce cool then work in batches, only filling the blender 1/3 of the way full each time.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta sauce, zucchini recipes