These Spinach and Sausage Phyllo Cups are loaded with spinach, sausage and three different kinds of cheese. They’re the best way to serve spinach if you ask me!
Here’s my version of a healthy appetizer for you. It’s got spinach – lots of spinach. That makes it healthy in my book.
We won’t worry too much about all the cheese and sausage going on in there. You have to add something to make all that spinach taste good, right?
Spinach is on the list of approved vegetables for me. We use it all the time in soups and meatballs or even in lasagna or stuffed shells. I consider it to be a pretty harmless vegetable but I know there are some spinach haters out there.
These Spinach and Sausage Phyllo Cups might just change their minds. Spicy sausage and three kinds of cheese all baked in a crispy phyllo dough shell…what’s not to like?
If you’re having company over you can make this recipe ahead of time and then warm them in the oven just before serving – or you could even make them ahead and freeze them for when your party day comes if you really like to get ahead.
And of course if you’re not into spicy sausage, feel free to swap it out for regular or even turkey sausage if you like. But no swapping out the spinach – the spinach stays.
To make these Spinach and Sausage Phyllo Cups, start by heating up some olive oil in a large skillet.
Add in the sausage and brown breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
Add the diced onion and garlic to the sausage and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion softens then set aside to cool.
In a large bowl mix the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses together with the spinach and then stir in the cooled sausage mixture.
Spoon the filling into store bought phyllo dough cups and bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes.
A huge amount of flavor all in a small, bite-sized appetizer.
Bite-sized appetizers are key…that leaves your other hand free for your beer.
Makes approximately 45 appetizer cups
- 3 packages of frozen phyllo dough cups (15 per pack)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 lb. hot italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and start browning the sausage, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix together all three cheeses with the spinach, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the cooled sausage mixture and stir well to combine.
- Place the phyllo cups on a baking sheet (you might need 2) and fill to the top with the filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the filling is set and the phyllo cups are slightly browned.