Our Beefy Taco Soup is sure to become a favorite dinner recipe! Beef, beans, corn and tomatoes simmered in a creamy broth with all your favorite toppings!
We made this soup recipe as a spin off of our popular Beefy Tomato Soup recipe! Try them both for dinner this week!
A 30 Minute Soup Recipe!
I mean, this Beefy Taco Soup just looks like a party in a bowl, doesn’t it? All your favorite taco flavors right there is your soup bowl.
We made this soup recipe as a twist on our Beefy Taco Soup, which I can honestly say is a cult favorite at this point, having been pinned on Pinterest over a million times! So I hope this Beefy Taco Soup lives up to the hype…
And what’s better than soup for dinner that’s ready in just a half an hour? Easy dinner recipes like this one are a life saver for anyone that’s trying to get a home cooked, healthy meal on the table without a big production.
Our kids love this soup so much, we often double the recipe so there’s enough for a second dinner!
How Does This Taco Soup Get So Thick & Creamy?
Considering that there’s only a little bit of cream cheese in this taco soup recipe, you might ask how it gets so darn thick and creamy?
Refried beans. Yep, a whole can of refried beans (fat free or regular) gets stirred right into the pot after you brown the ground beef. of course the refried beans add flavor to the soup, but also helps to thicken the soup with out a lot of heavy cream or the aid of a cornstarch mixture.
And then the cream cheese is just an added bonus for flavor and extra creaminess.
What Are Some Other Ingredients I Can Add To This Soup?
This soup recipe is really forgiving, you can add a lot of different ingredients in here that you either have on hand or are trying to clean out the fridge with!
- Black, Red or White Beans
- Tube shaped, cooked pasta
- Our Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Green or red bell peppers
- Fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce or sriracha
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, cotija cheese or Pepper Jack
- Diced Avocado
- Crushed Tortilla chips
- Fritos, Doritos
- Lime wedges
This soup isn’t just a ground beef recipe, either. You can swap out the ground beef for ground turkey or pork – and you can even substitute shredded cooked chicken!
To add already cooked chicken to this soup, just add the chicken in as you would the ground beef and go on to the next step. We adapt this soup recipe to whatever we need to use up in our refrigerator!
Add chips and cheese and our kids don’t really care what else is in it! Because this recipe doesn’t have pasta in it, you can easily make it ahead of time also and reheat for an even faster dinner!
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can refried beans
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese (or 1/2 cup heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup taco sauce
- 2 cups corn
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Add the oil to a dutch oven or soup pot. Cook the onion, garlic, and jalapeño for 5 minutes until softened. Add the ground beef, and cook until browned through, and then drain any grease from the pot.
- Stir the refried beans, cream cheese, salt, pepper and cumin into the ground beef and onions until combined.
- Add the taco sauce, chicken stock, corn and diced tomatoes, stir then bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips if desired.
you can also use our Homemade Pice De Gallo instead of Rotel!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336 Total Fat: 9.7g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 1123mg Carbohydrates: 32.2g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 37g