We finally did it – we made zoodles. I’m sure everyone on the planet has tried them by now…except me. This Italian Meatball Soup with Zoodles was the perfect recipe to try them out!
Christie has been making Italian Wedding Soup for a really long time. We’re big soup fans at my house, it’s a total comfort food to all of us – doesn’t matter if it’s cold outside or hot outside, no one really seems to care.
And as I’ve been telling you Christie has been trying to cut her carbs down and eat more protein so when it was time to make this soup again – we grabbed some zucchini and borrowed a spiralizer from a friend. Any new twist to a recipe is always interesting to me so I was all for it.
Start out by mixing up the meatballs. The usual ingredients, plus a little fresh nutmeg and grated onion is the key…it looks like coconut I know but it’s onion.
Then you’re going to add in a whole lot of parmesan cheese…a whole cup. I’m telling you, these are going to be good.
Heat up chicken broth in a large soup pot and bring that to a simmer, while that’s warming up you can start rolling out the meatballs.
And now it’s time to make the zoodles! One large zucchini is all you’ll need…look at how they come out, just like spaghetti. And just as a side note, if anyone had ever told me in my former life that I’d be excited about making zoodles…I would have laughed in their face. How times change.
Once the broth comes to a simmer you can add in the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes, then add in the zoodles and simmer for 25 minutes until the zucchini is softened.
Serve this soup up in big bowls with lots of parmesan cheese for topping. And for me and the boys, lots of Italian bread for dipping.Print
For the Meatballs
- 2 lbs. meatloaf mix (a mixture of beef, pork and veal you can buy at the butcher counter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated onion and juice that comes from grating
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
For the Soup
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the Zoodles
- 1 large zucchini
- Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper to a large soup pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the broth is heating up, place all the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Roll out 2 inch diameter meatballs (a small golf ball size) and place on a cutting board.
- Using a spiralizer, make the zoodles with the zucchini. I cut mine into sections so they were more manageable to eat.
- Once the broth comes to a simmer, add the meatballs and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the zoodles and simmer for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese for topping.
You can substitute the zoodles for plain noodles or spaghetti. We like lots of noodles in our soup, so I’d use a whole pound of pasta. If you like more broth use 3/4 of a pound.