Fish Tacos with Fresh Tomato Salsa are so fresh and delicious, you’ll forget that you’re eating so healthy! Our kids even love these fish tacos for dinner!
A Healthy Taco Recipe
We took a trip back in November to St. John in the Virgin Islands and we ate fish tacos almost every night. I’m not kidding you, either – I’d say 5 nights out of 7 I ate a fish taco.
They were so fresh and simple and I have to tell you, after a hot day on the beach and a few cold beers in my hand, those fish tacos were the best thing ever.
We all missed them so much we’ve been making a lot of fish tacos since we’ve been home…then I thought it was time to put my own twist on our favorite tacos from vacation, so I came up with these delicious Fish Tacos with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
It’s got your protein, plenty of vegetables and some carbs from the tortilla. It’s a complete meal that you can hold in your hand and even eat on the go which we do a lot around my house.
But this dinner proves that eating on the go doesn’t have to mean a slice of pizza or mac and cheese from a box. And in addition to it being healthy and delicious…they’re also easy to make.
What Kind of Fish Do I Use To Make Fish Tacos?
You can use a variety of fish for these fish tacos, any mild white fish will do. Even salmon or shrimp will work if that looks good at the fish counter, the idea here is that the freshest fish you can find is best!
What Is Watercress?
When I was looking for ingredients for this taco recipe, I came across watercress in the produce aisle. Watercress is a peppery, leafy green and it’s loaded with tons of health benefits.
It’s an excellent source of vitamins A, K and C, one of the most nutrient dense vegetables actually. All packed away in that little leaf. And it’s really, really delicious on sandwiches, in salads, on pizza…and on these Fish Tacos with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
Watercress adds a fresh, peppery crunch to just about anything you put on it!
How To Make These Fish Tacos with Fresh Tomato Salsa
The watercress sauce is made very easily in a blender – just a few ingredients in addition to the watercress and you’re on your way. Because this sauce is mostly watercress, it’s loaded with vitamins so you’re going to want to put in on everything.
Once the sauce is done you can move on to making the fresh tomato salsa, I’ve got to tell you my little guy LOVED this salsa so much we ended up making a double batch because he was eating it on everything! OR just scooping it up with tortilla chips almost like a fresh pico de gallo recipe.
They’re both good eaters, we’re lucky for that but I do think tit’s all about how you teach them to eat at a young age. The more foods you introduce them to the better, take it from me, I know. When I was growing up I ate like 5 things, and that lasted until I got married and then started this food blog, now I pretty much eat it all!
I mean who’s not going to love getting a plate of these Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa and Fresh Watercress Sauce served up to them for dinner? These would be great for served for party food too – Cinco de Mayo is coming up in a couple of days…
You can definitely serve these taco with more watercress on the top for garnish and an extra crunch!
Looking For More Seafood Recipes?
- Fish Nuggets with Bang Bang Sauce
- Bucatini with Fresh Corn and Clams
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Baked Asian BBQ Salmon
These delicious and healthy fish tacos are so much easier to make than they look! We used catfish for our tacos, but you can use any fish you like!
- 2 pounds catfish filets, cut into strips (any firm fish such as flounder, tilapia, cod or snapper)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Flour or Corn tortillas
- For The Tomato Salsa:
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup watercress, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- For the Watercress Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh watercress
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Make the tomato salsa by adding the ingredients to a bowl and stirring to combine. Set aside until ready or you can refrigerate for a few hours if making ahead.
- Make the watercress sauce by adding all the ingredients to ab lender and blending until smooth. Taste for seasonings and pour into a bowl.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper and then add to the hot oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until the fish is firm and opaque. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Assemble the tacos by adding a couple of strips of fish to a tortilla and then spooning tomato salsa and fresh watercress sauce on top. An additional squeeze of fresh lemon or lime is always good!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This post has been brought to you by Watercress Life®, thank you for supporting the brands that keep these recipes coming!