Fried Buffalo Calamari are just like your favorite fried calamari appetizer, tossed in spicy buffalo wing sauce!
A Spicy Fried Calamari Recipe
I know it looks like fried chicken strips, but this is fried calamari. Buffalo Calamari Strips to be exact. We love buffalo flavor on just about anything!
I love fried calamari. It’s a definite must order pretty much anytime we see it on a menu. I like it all different ways, too. With spicy marinara or peppers, or with a garlic mayonnaise (an aioli, the wife says…) But I’ve never seen it done buffalo wing style.
Serve this spicy calamari with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing for dipping!
How To Make Fried Buffalo Calamari
I started with my nice clean tubes of fresh squid and instead on cutting them into rings, I sliced them into strips lengthwise. Just to be different, but you can cut them into rings also.
Dipped the strips in egg wash, flour and bread crumbs and fried them up! You could stop there and just serve them with some marinara sauce. We tested a few that way and they were quite tasty.
Once they’re fried, dip them into a buffalo wing sauce and plate them up! I topped mine with some blue cheese crumbles and served them with a blue cheese dressing for dipping.
That’s what we had for dinner that night- some we left plain for the boys to dip in marinara sauce and the rest buffalo-style for us. Crack open a beer and dig in- you’re going to love these!
Love Buffalo Wing Flavor? Check Out These Recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Eggs
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Baked Buffalo French Fries
Buffalo Calamari Strips are fried until golden then tossed in your favorite buffalo sauce for a spicy appetizer or dinner!
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned squid
- 2 eggs, beaten with a tablespoon of water
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (milder than regular hot sauce)
- Blue cheese dressing for dipping
- Blue cheese crumbles for garnish
- Fill a large dutch oven halfway with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Slice the squid tubes into strips lengthwise (or rings) and set aside.
- Dip the calamari strip into the egg wash, let the excess drip off, then into the flour and lastly the bread crumbs. Repeat with all the calamari strips until they are all breaded.
- Once your oil comes to temperature, carefully add in a few strips at a time depending on how big your pot is.
- Fry the calamari for 3 minutes until golden brown, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining calamari.
- Place the buffalo sauce in a medium sized bowl. Start dipping the strips in to completely cover and the place on a platter to serve. Try to do this quickly while the calamari are still hot so they stay crisp.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing on the side for dipping and garnish with blue cheese crumbles.
You can keep the fried calamari in a 250 degree oven while you’re frying the rest of the strips.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fried calamari, calamari recipe, fried calamari recipe, how to make calamari, buffalo calamari, calamari strips, seafood appetizer, appetizer recipe