Make this Shrimp Toast with Cream Sauce for a dinner party or a date night at home! Anyone will be impressed with this delicious shrimp dinner!
The best part about this recipe is the sauce. It’s creamy, buttery and flavored with Garnacha white wine. The wine is something that you definitely can not substitute here – don’t swap it out for chicken broth or anything like that.
Especially if you’re using this Spanish Garnacha that I’ve just been introduced to. It comes in all varieties from red to white and dry or sweet, whatever flavors you look for in a wine they have, and interesting fact about the Garnacha grape is that it’s the only variety that can produce both red and white wines. You can check out their Facebook page to get some more information about their wines, and which ones to cook with too!
First grab a large skillet and start cooking the shrimp. I got large shrimp for this recipe since everyone will only get three or four on a plate you want to make sure they’re a nice size. Season with salt and pepper on both sides and then cook them for a couple of minuets and remove to a plate.
In the same skillet, melt some butter and start making the sauce for the shrimp. Once the butter is melted get some garlic and onion in there and cook it down for 2-3 minutes.
The next part is important – the mushrooms. You want to take the time to get them nice and browned before you add the wine. It’ll take a good 10 minutes of stirring and flipping the mushrooms around but trust me – it’ll be worth it in the end.
Once the mushrooms have browned add in a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir to mix it all together. Cook the flour out for a minute or two and then pour in the wine to deglaze the pan. It’ll bubble up like crazy while your stirring, but keep going until all the wine is mixed in with the flour.
Now pour in chicken broth and heavy cream (yep, heavy, no subbing our that either) bring to a boil and let reduce for five minutes until the sauce thickens.
Add the cooked shrimp back in to warm through, season with salt and pepper then cover and turn off the heat.
Now it’s time to toast the bread – I grabbed thick sliced sourdough bread because it’s sturdy enough to hold all that sauce and not fall apart. Also because it’s delicious.
Once the bread is toasted, put one slice on a plate and cut in half to make triangles. Add a few shrimp to the top and pour some of the sauce all over the shrimp and the bread.
This shrimp recipe is perfect for dinner parties or a date night at home!
- 18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 T. chopped garlic
- 10 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and thick sliced
- 1/4 c. red onion, chopped
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. ground pepper
- 1/4 c. Garnacha White Wine
- 2 T. flour
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 6 slices thick cut sourdough bread
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side until just pink and remove from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet, then add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- Next add the garlic, stir and cook for a minute more then place in the sliced mushrooms.
- Let the mushrooms cook, stirring every couple of minutes until they’re browned all around. This step will take you about 10 minutes to get the mushrooms good and browned.
- Add in the wine to deglaze the pan, stir, then add the flour.
- Using a whisk, mix the flour well into the wine and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
- Next pour in the chicken broth and cream, whisk well to combine with the flour and mushrooms and let it come to a boil.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil, whisk again, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the cooked shrimp back in the pan with the sauce and heat through to warm the shrimp.
- Cover and turn the heat off.
- Toast the bread and cut in half into triangles, serve two triangles on each plate with a few shrimp and topped with some of the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shrimp recipes, date night at home, cooking with wine, shrimp toast, dinner recipes